VERTIGO - Chris Evans x Actress!Reader / Part 2

His eyes came across hers on the other end of the red carpet, and time seemed to stand still. The loud chanting of the paparazzi yelling out their names resounding now like a hollow sound in the background. Their camera's flashing from time to time making things move in slow motion. It had been a while since the last time they had seen each other, but time didn't seem to have gone by for her. She looked as beautiful as ever.

A timid smile suddenly showed up on her lips exposing that left dimple he loved so much. And Chris could've sworn he caught Y/N holding her breath. Or maybe it was just him; him and his desire for her to feel the same as he did. To get that fluttery feeling in her stomach, and her chest burning just like his was at the moment.

If it weren't for both their publicists moving them along, Chris was sure they could've spent the rest of the night standing there, lost in each other's eyes as the rest of the world slowly disappeared.

***

After parties weren't really her scene and yet, here she was. Sitting down by the bar, tracing with her fingers the rim of a glass of a cocktail she wasn't gonna drink. It had been a long night and all Y/N had wanted to do was to be able to sit down for five minutes.

Chris eyes found her figure as soon as he was able to get away from anyone trying to engage in conversation with him. It didn't take him long. It never did. He'd always find his way to her, just like the earth finds it's way around the sun.

"Hey..." He mumbled making himself some room next to her. His left forearm pressed on top of the bar supporting his weight.

"Hey." She replied with surprise, but instantly recognizing who that voice belonged to. Those blue eyes digging into her soul for the second time that night.

Her social battery had run out about half an hour ago, they both knew that well, but she'd always have the energy to talk to him.

"Congratulations on the award!" Chris said trying to make conversation but not sure how.

"You too Chris." She replied with a warm smile. The sound of his name on her lips bringing back that heart-warming feeling he missed so much. "It's good to see you again."

"Hey, uhm... you wanna get out of here?" Chris asked. Her eyes widened as she stared back at him with both eyebrows raised. "No! I don't... that's not..." He started nervously babbling. "I just want to talk." He explained with a sigh. "You know, like we used to..."

"Okay." Y/N said releasing the air she did not know she had been holding in her lungs. It hadn't been difficult to convince her. After all, she also missed their conversations. She missed being able to talk to him with the ease they used to, before taking another step in their relationship, when they were still best friends.

"Great!" Chris said straightening his posture. With a brand new gleam in his eyes and a smile that he had reserved only for her to see. Or that maybe she was the only one who managed to get out of him. A power she held but did not know.

Nervously fixing his suit, he took a second to think what his next move should be. Extending his hand out to help her stand up, Chris waited for Y/N to take it. She just looked at it with half a smile on her face and then shook her head 'no'. Standing up on her own, and after fixing her dress, she took a step closer to him and leaned.

"Meet me in the terrace in ten minutes." She whispered in his right ear. "We don't wanna get people talking about something that's not really there." She added walking away.

Her last words resounded inside Chris' head as he stood frozen in place. Had she really meant that? Was there nothing there? And his face must have changed colors because his brother approached him right away.