343 Guilty Spark (Halo-Combat Evolved)

Well Enough Alone

Camera flies over a group of Kig-Yar and Unggoy running through a swamp, panicky and obviously in retreat. As it pans over them, you see through the fog and rain the outline of a dropship, which further materializes as the camera draws closer.

Carol Rawley (COM): "The last transmission from the Captain's dropship was from this area. That was over twelve hours ago. When you locate Captain Keyes, radio in, and I'll come pick you up."

In certain parts of the level, you can hear a radio transmission coming from a crashed human dropship and a Covenant communications terminal. As it repeats, it seems that this is some sort of distress beacon. Static pervades the transmission, and the signal fades in and out of clarity.

Dropship Victor 933's Pilot: "Dropship Victor 933-(static)-Pillar of Autumn-(static)-need assistance. We are under att-(static)-attack by some new kind of hostile-(static)-isn't Covenant. (Static) Captain Keyes has been captured by hostiles. (static) -dug in at a large structure in a swamp-(static)-We need to pull out. Please-(static)-I will set this message to repeat at-(static)-regular intervals. Dropship Victor 933, clear."

The Spartans quickly finds the crashed dropship sending the message. There are weapons and supplies piled nearby, but no signs of life. They pass by a crashed Covenant Spirit, deals with a small group of Unggoy and Kig-Yar, and crosses a log bridge. As he moves across the bridge, he sees several shadowy figures running around on the top of the cliff to the right. Also, his motion tracker shows seemingly friendly units in the swamp not too far from his location, but they suddenly disappear off radar.

When they reach the other side, they hear Assault Rifle fire nearby. They investigate and sees a mob of Unggoy and Kig-Yar fleeing from an A-shaped structure. A frag grenade explosion throws a Shade turret around. The fleeing Covenant attack him out of fear.

The Spartans, thinking Marines are attacking the Covenant, hurries to the entrance, but finds no one there. A lift arrives for them. They take the lift down into the depths of the structure.

The Spartans passes through several large rooms and many smaller ones inside the structure, filled with Grunts, Jackals, empty Shade turrets, discarded weapons, and dead bodies - both Marine and Covenant. In some rooms, Jackals and Grunts gather at the doorways as if expecting an attack. In one room, the spartans discovers a strange green-yellow substance falling from the ceiling.

As you come into an area blasted with gunfire and scorch marks, there is the sound of shattering glass. A lone Marine sits leaning against a wall, Pistol pointed at you. He shoots at you if you come too close, while screaming at the top of his lungs. He also fiddles around with his pistol a lot, checking to see if the magazine is full.

AWOL Marine: "Stay back! Stay back, you're not turning me into one of those things!""I'll blow your brains out! Get away from me!""GAAAAAHH! AAAAAAHH! Don't touch me, you freaks, I won't be like you, I'll die first!""Find your own hiding place, the monsters are everywhere!""Play dead! That's what I did... played dead. They took the live ones... oh God, I can still hear them!"(Sobbing) "Monsters...""Ahhhhhh! Ahhhhaaahhh..."JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!""Sarge? Mendoza? Bisenti? Oh, God... the things took them, oh God, I can still hear them... (mumbles and cries) They're gone! Get it? GONE!""They won't get me! Oh God... oh God I don't want to be like them, please, please no, nooo..."

The Spartans leaves him, and finds a way to the second floor. An Assault Rifle lies on the ground, pointing like an arrow towards the entrance of a room marked with ominous red Forerunner glyphs. The door appears to have been forced open. The Spartans goes in, passes a dead Marine, and walks down a ramp.

The Spartans approached the door cautiously as your proceed to listen for any movement inside. Just as you were going to type a command into the spoofer, there is a noise behind you. The Spartans turn around, gun ready to shoot, but sees nothing. After a moment, they turn back to the door, placing your gun on your shoulder and opens the door. When it opens, a dead Marine falls into your arms. The Spartans advanced a few paces, as you place the body on the floor gently while making sure nobody follows you through. You sweep your Assault Rifle about the room. The floor is covered in blood. Discarded UNSC weapons lie all about. Master Chief also notices a helmet lying on the floor, and, crouching, moves swiftly towards it. Once she's there, she surveys the room one more time, places her rifle on the floor, and picks up the helmet. The name JENKINS is stamped across it. There is a large, jagged hole punched through the top of it. The Master Chief shakes her head. She then examines the helmet more closely and notices that the Helmet Recorder, near the HUD, is still intact. She retrieves the Recorder Chip and inserts it into a socket in her helmet. She made sure she transmit the recording to your helmet so you and Cortana can watch as well