~6~ Momentary

*Unedited.*
Word count: 2860

(This is what you're wearing

(This is what you're wearing.)

~~~ May 25, 1789 ~~~

The sound was elegant, alive yet calming as my fingers pressed down and danced across the many keys of white and black.

My gaze was soft, gentle yet focused and held a sense of calm - my eyes watching my fingers while in the corner of my eye stood Thomas. His frame was tall, standing with patient intent as he shuffled through papers on the shiny top of the piano.

The cream hued paper sat in contrast with the reflective surface of the instrument - being something that held the male's attention as he read through the neatly scrawled sentences of cursive writings.

The delicate, dove-like song dies down, the serene song coming to its end and Thomas smiles to himself as I calmly pull my hands back to my chest - my gaze turning up as the male taps the bottom edges of the papers together to gather them.

"Very good, my dear." He says as if to himself moments before a maid steps into view of the drawing room, her hands behind her back with an aura of poise to her figure.

"Sire." She starts simply and the male in question looks back at her.
"Mr. Madison has arrived."

I glance towards the window as though to peer through the curtains covering the sides of the glass from where I sat, and a smile pulls at my lips as I smooth down my dress and stand from my place, a more giddy and excited feeling washing over me.
I step to the side, walking passed Thomas - but to my subtle surprise, his hand grabs my upper arm, stopping me from venturing further and I gasp.

My head turns, looking back at the more firm and expectant expression - his fingers creasing the sheer, white fabric that covered my arm.

"I do hope you remember what we've gone over. You are to be on your best behavior while our guest is over and there will be no exceptions. Understand." His words were sharp, and in response I meekly nod and take a small step closer.

"Yes sir."

Thomas smiles more, his features relaxing as his free hand goes up to fix my hair, tucking a strand behind my ear as the sound of the front door opens - a friendly greeting being heard from the doorway and the hand on my arm dissappears.

"Thomas. (Y/n)." Madison greets as the magenta clad male moves to stand by my side, his arm snaking behind my waist in a loving way and I smile.

"James." Thomas responds in kind. "I hope your trip over was pleasant."

"Indeed." James chuckles - a small case-like object in his free hand. "And I must say, your home is quite lovely, my friend, very spacious."

"It's a pleasure to see you again, Mr. Madison." I say kindly, playing with the sleeve of my light blue dress and the male smiles, placing a hand over his abdomen as his upper body leans forward in a bow like motion.