36: Rest in Peace

Start from the beginning

"I know what Stacy did." Tommy then suddenly started after a long moment of silence. "And I know she did it because of me." I frowned questioningly and looked over at him. "I also knew she was going to do it... and I didn't stop her, because I didn't really care what happened to Andy." He admitted in shame. "But I... I didn't take into account what it would do to you. You have no idea how fucking horrible I still feel about it, sis."

"It's okay." I muttered without thinking too much about it. There was no point in getting angry about it all over again. Of course I was kind of pissed and very, very disappointed, but it was time to let it go. It had been way over three months since it happened. "Stacy is fucking crazy." I then added.

Tommy chuckled and scratched the back of his head. "You can say that again."

"At least we agree on something." I then stated with a smile, trying to be positive. "Is Liz attending the funeral too?"

Tommy sighed and shook his head. "She doesn't want to come, so it's just going to be me. Might be for the best too. Is Andy coming?"

I shrugged a little. "No idea. I haven't told him yet and I don't know if I should to be honest."

"I really am sorry about what happened, it must've made things so difficult between you two... and for Dennis too."

I sighed deeply and sat back. "Yes Tommy, yes it has. And you know what? Things are still difficult. But can we please for fuck's sake let that go for now? Our mother has died, Tommy, can we just be a normal non-destructive family for a moment?" Tears started rolling as I spoke the words. Our mother had died. That was, however much it sucked, the thing we needed to focus on.

Tommy then jumped over to me and pulled me into a tight hug. "I'm sorry. I'm so terribly sorry. I miss mom too."

On the day of the funeral, Jake and Ella had vouched to babysit Dennis for the time being. They told me they'd take him off my hands for as long as I needed them to, but I couldn't be away from my boy for too long. It just didn't seem appropriate to bring him to a funeral, so for that I was grateful.

For the... occasion... I had dressed myself in a black dress, knee length with a wide skirt and long, lace sleeves. I took a deep breath and exhaled heavily as I looked into the mirror. This was it; I was heading to my mother's funeral. Just the idea made me feel sick to my stomach.

"Can you help me for a sec?" Andy then asked as he came up behind me.

I turned towards him and scanned him from head to toe. He was wearing a classy black suit, dark gray shirt underneath it and a black simple tie, which was still hanging loosely from his neck.

Andy must've noticed how shaky I was as I tried to fix his tie, because after a few seconds of fucking around with his tie, he gently grabbed my hands and kissed them. "I know it's not easy, but calm yourself down a bit, okay Princess? I'll be with you every step of the way, promise." He then kissed my forehead and smiled softly.

This was the first time he had called me that again since everything went sideways between us. And to be honest, it felt kind of good hearing it again.

The memorial service was everything one could expect from a memorial service; it was dark, depressing, quiet and sadly very impersonal. "She... she looks peaceful, right?" I tried to convince myself, as I looked down into the casket.

Andy gently tightened his grip on my upper arms and sighed softly. "Yeah, she does." He whispered reassuringly. "She's probably in a better place now."

I chuckled sarcastically and crossed my arms, placing my hands on top of his. "Andy please, you know I believe in that crap just as much as you do."

"Sorry." He then whispered.

I looked up at him and gave him a small smile. "It's okay. I know you're just trying to make me feel better."

"I'm really sorry for your loss." I then heard a gentle voice behind me say. I turned around to find the elderly lady from across the street standing beside me, smiling apologetically. "Your mother told me that meeting her grandson was her last wish. Seeing the little boy made her so happy and so proud. She said it's why she held on and was able to leave us in peace." She explained, her voice calm and kind.

Her words however made me burst into tears in an instant. And without saying anything else, the elderly lady walked off. Andy then wrapped his arms around me and gently rubbed my back. "It's okay, Princess. Just let it all out." He whispered into my hair.

"Is... is she okay?" Tommy then asked as he rushed up to us. I felt Andy shaking his head slowly. "I feel horrible, you know? I hadn't been to mom's in ages and now she's gone." He then added.

Suddenly our father came over to us as well. "How are you kids holding up?" He asked, barely showing any emotion.

"Look, dad, I didn't want to bring this up here, but... Seriously, how could you do this to us? I mean, I haven't been the best son, but... at least explain to me how you could do this to Alexis, after everything? She had the right to know."

"Tommy..." I whispered, my voice cracking desperately. He really didn't need to do this, especially not now, not here.

"You're right, son." Our father admitted with a sigh. "I'm... sorry." He added.

I was surprised at hearing the word 'sorry' coming from my father's mouth. Never in my entire life had I heard him say sorry. But it really wasn't what I needed at that moment.

The rest of the ceremony was sad and painful, and I was honestly relieved when it was time to leave. Andy drove us back to the house in silence. I knew how worried he was about me by the way he kept looking at me during the drive home. But there was nothing he could do about it. I just needed time to mourn, like anyone would.