36: Rest in Peace

After spending two days with Dennis and me, Andy had left again. Apparently he was staying over at Ashley's place for a little bit, writing new material, so at least he was pretty close. I really wasn't sure how things were gonna go from this point on.

I had just come back home from buying nearly all of Hot Topic empty for clothes for Dennis and myself, when I found a card on my doormat. I dropped my bags in the kitchen, put Dennis in his playpen and sat down with the card in my hands. I expected it to be a belated birthday card, but not many people had my address yet.

I carefully ripped open the envelope, pulled out the white, mostly blank card and read the words; In Memoriam of Patricia Louisa Ratliff-Jones. The honor of your presence is requested at a memorial service Sunday, the 29th of November at twelve o'clock noon. Rose Hills Memorial Park.

I had to read the words twice before it finally sunk in.

"Oh my god." I whispered and gasped as I finally realized what it meant. It was an invitation to my mother's funeral... her funeral. Tears slowly started rolling, and for a good hour or so I just sat there crying.

It was then that my doorbell rang, and for a moment I was reluctant to open it. It couldn't be anyone I wanted to see. Andy had keys so it couldn't be him. But when my doorbell rang for the second time, I decided to wipe away the tears and open it.

There was Tommy, staring at me like a lost puppy, holding the same card that I had received between his middle and index finger. I was surprised to find him here, but at the same time I was glad, all though sadly it meant that this was in fact really happening.

It was then that tears started rolling again. Tommy dropped the card and pulled me into a firm hug. "I'm so sorry, sis." He blurted out, fear and defeat clearly resounding in his voice.

"Why didn't they call us, Tommy? The hospital... or dad... why did we have to find out through a fucking card?" I just blurted out. I was so angry with everyone and just everything. She's my mom for fuck's sake, why didn't the hospital call me?

"I... I guess dad did this. It's unforgivable. I'm sorry." Then suddenly Dennis started crying. I sighed and squeezed my eyes shut, trying to fight the tears. "Is that my nephew?" Tommy then asked.

I smiled a little bit and wiped my tears away. "Yeah, he's in the living room."

"Can I meet him?"

"Of course, go ahead." I then took a deep breath and headed into the bathroom to fix my face. For a moment, I just stood there and stared into the mirror. I was so incredibly angry, sad, but also glad in a way. She no longer had to suffer. She no longer had to live in pain, waiting for the day that it would all be over. And I was glad that she still got to meet her grandson after all.

Meanwhile the cries had stopped. "Aren't you just the cutest nephew in the world? Yes you are!" I heard Tommy say in a cute voice.

I smiled to myself as I heard Dennis giggle. He was such a social and charming little boy. He hardly cried around anyone. I then left the bathroom and walked into the living room, to find Tommy leaning into the playpen.

"He likes you." I noted with a smile.

Tommy chuckled and turned back towards me. "At least someone likes me." He muttered sarcastically. "You look good, sis."

I shrugged my shoulders and sat down on the couch. "How are you and Liz?" I then decided to ask, trying to sound as sincere as I possibly could.

"Uh, fine yeah. How are you and... Andy?"

"Fine yeah."

Tommy sat down on the other side of the couch and awkwardly cleared his throat. The whole situation made conversing even more awkward than it usually was between my brother and I. Our mother had passed... we were horrible to each other... what was there to talk about?