Twenty-Five

01x09

01x09

(The Bell Tower)

"What the hell are we supposed to tell her!?"

"Nothing. We just say that Bailey's sleeping."

"For almost four hours? Someone needs to wake her up so we can get out of here."

"They might have just lost their fucking aunt Kie! And we have no clue where she is!" JJ's voice echoed through Avery's head. "Don't be fucking inconsiderate just because you don't know what it's like to loose the only family you have."

Her eyelids fluttered open and she realized she was in the back of the van. Memories of the previous hours flashed through her mind and her head fell back against the seat.

"Avery?" JJ rushed to her side and brought his hand up to her head. "Baby, you awake?"

"JJ..." her expression was emotionless. 

"I know." his eyes were red and puffy as well and she knew that John B had told him. "Everything's gonna be okay."

She looked around at the other Pogues before sitting up and rubbing her head. The massive headache she had wasn't helping the feeling of emptiness she felt throughout her body.

"Wait a minute, where's Bailey?" she asked, not seeing the little blonde girl. The Pogues shared a look and JJ's jaw clenched unbelievably hard. "Where's my sister?"

Pope was the first to speak. "We don't know." 

Her heart dropped to her stomach. "What do you mean, you don't know?"

"The cops want her." Kie told her friend. "Shoupe more specifically. They chased John B out of the station and she managed to get away. We stalled them and we think she got away, we told her to keep running until she found someone she knew."

"Are you fucking kidding me!?" Avery screeched, jumping out of van. "You're telling me my baby who just fucking turned four a few months ago is out there alone with the cops after her!?" 

"Avery--"

"How could you let this happen!?" she screamed at JJ who flinched at her tone. "You were supposed to protect her!"

"I know okay, but we think we have an idea of where she went." he told her softly.

"Where?" she had a pleading look on her face. 

"She might try to find Sarah." 

"Sarah." Avery scoffed. "The one whose brother shot my aunt and possible killed her."

"If she can get to Sarah, she can let us know that she's there and you can go get her." John B said.

"If anything happens to Bailey," she stepped towards him threateningly, "the only thing I have left, I will never speak to you again John Booker Routledge."