Prince of Knights Chp19

Start from the beginning

"I believe you shall recite that for your spouse, ya Adel." Faris murmured only for his friend to hear.

Adel laughed wholeheartedly. "I have my friend, I have."

Faris sat straight and eyes were drawn to him. "They were present here, and they departed," he paused eyes on the rug in front of him. "Nothing was left but mere scent of absence." Faris at last uttered the words.

"Masha'Allah Faris, indeed that was compelling." Hamdan who joined them a while ago praised. Faris simply gave a nod. "Poor I and the sand, lucky you and the wind." Hamdan finished with his verse.

Few hours later the men vacated the tent. They made their way to masjid for Maghrib prayer and it was then Faris crossed paths with Badr. However, the knights disregarded each others presences altogether. They did not want to interchange words, for they knew it would ignite a blaze so severe  and kindle everything in it's path.

*

*

Raghad stood in front of the chimney and glared at the black wok on top of the coals. She was aware she needed to prepare the evening meal. Indeed, she knew how to cook but this was not here house. She looked around the small mud room with her bottom lip curled, silver pots, mugs were decorated on the shelves. There was a small dragget in the middle of the room and a wooden window on her left.

"You need my assistance?" Shouq questioned from over the potatoes she peeled.

"That would be wonderful." Raghad managed to pass a small smile and stared at Shouq's scarf that hung around her shoulders. She had thick glossy hair that reached her waist.

"Batool!" Shouq called her sister. A moment later Batool ran in the scullery without even a glance towards Raghad.

"What is it sister?" Batool demanded in a half-hearted tone.

"Peel this, I must assist Raghad." Shouq rose to her feet.

"Why? Has she not learned how to prepare a meal in her tribe?" Batool hissed, her sharp dark eyes at Raghad now.

The bride stood there and watched the seventeen summer girl glare at her. Raghad clenched her jaw and stared at Batool with an impassive expression. "I did not call you here to raise a dispute, sister. If you do not wish to aid then leave." Shouq shook her head at Batool's discourteous manners.

"If I leave mother will not be pleased, so I am forced to help any way." the imprudent girl growled and dropped on the space Shouq just sat on.

"I apologies for that," Shouq murmured once she was in front of Raghad. "She is cosseted by Faris. Unfortunately, she blames you for the veer of events." Shouq exhaled and dribbled water in the wok.

"I do not only have to deal with her brother but I have gained another foe." Raghad tusked and handed Shouq raw meat. She did not care if Shouq was his sister, she desired to speak the words that were in her heart.

"All will be well, Raghad. Have faith in your Lord." Shouq replied as she added garlic and spices in the wok.

"I have faith in my Lord, ya Shouq. He is the reason why I am capable to confront your brother." Raghad mixed the food with a ladle.

Once successful with the evening meal, Shouq and Raghad departed to prepare the sufra. In doing so, Raghad took note of how very dissimilar the Borkans lived from the Rashideens. Their houses baffled her at first, she did not like the thought of being encircled by clay walls. At times she felt as if the walls would compress and loot her soul away. She denied to go up the stairs when Shouq and Jazee asked her to join them. How on earth could they live that high?