08.

Rachel appeared in the hallway with a cough, causing me to jump. "You two seemed cozy."
"Don't look at me like that," I said defensively.
"And I don't know what you're talking about."
"Right."
I sighed and moved to sit down on the couch. "How was the date?"
She smiled widely, hurrying to sit down beside me. She had already changed into her pajamas.
"It was so great. We went to a movie, you know the really sappy one that just came out. Totally not my thing, but he made it so fun. He had me laughing the whole time."
"The other people in the theater must've loved you," I teased and she rolled her eyes.
"Screw them. Anyway, after the movie we went to dinner and he took me over to the Forks diner and I got a hamburger."
I laughed at her babbling.
"That man can eat. He probably could've eaten the whole restaurant if given the chance."
"Now that's a talent."
"We just get along so well," she said dreamily, ignoring me. "It's like I've known him forever. I feel so connected. It's kinda scary."
I smiled at her. "I can't believe it. Rachel Black: simping."
She grimaced and shook her head, letting me know her pride was still too high to completely surrender to my jokes. "I am not simping. I'm just-"
"Smitten?" I cut in. She looked at me in surprise.
"I wouldn't say smitten," she said slowly. "I just really really like him. So far."
"That's cute," I commented and she blushed. "And he's smitten over you too."
"I hope so," she admitted.
"Don't worry, it's written all over his face when he's around you."
She sighed happily, reaching to hold my hand.
"So why'd Embry leave so early? It's only nine."
"He had curfew," I said flatly and she cracked a smile. "It's not funny."
"It is a little."
"I told you it was weird!"
"It's not weird it's just a little funny! You're dating someone who has a curfew." She giggled at her own words.
"You're ridiculous. And we aren't dating."
She gave me a look of disapproval. "You're not dating?"
"I didn't think so."
"Hmf."
"We hung out two times," I protested. "And you were there for one of them."
"So you're not gonna see him anymore?" she asked.
"I didn't say that," I said and she gave me an amused look. "I just- listen, I don't know what I'm gonna do."
"You're gonna text him," she said smugly. "That's what you're gonna do."
"I don't have his number and he hasn't texted me yet," I said and she shook her head.
"Tonight's gonna be the night."
Not even four seconds later my phone buzzed; we both stared at it.
"I don't even wanna look," I said.
"What? Why not?"
"Because now you got my hopes up," I complained, leaning back against the couch. "If it's not him I'm gonna be bummed."
"Don't be a wuss," she said. "Rip the bandaid off."
I took a deep breath and flipped my phone over.
Lo and behold, it was a text message.

unknown number: :)

I looked up.
She was smirking at me. "Now what do you want to order?"
We settled on pizza, calling a local pizzeria in Forks that was the first number to pop up when we googled it. We ordered one whole pie and a liter of sprite, no toppings and extra napkins.
It was 10:30 and we were camped out on the couch with a spread of blankets and pillows around us. Mean Girls was on and Rachel was painting her nails red- a true girls night. I was curled up reading a book, one that I had bought in a Port Angeles bookshop a few days earlier when we were there.
The bell ding donged and Rachel shooed me toward it, waving her hands in the air as she dried her nails. I rolled my eyes at her, making sure she saw me, before getting up and opening the door. The pizza man stood in front of me, decked out in red and white with a visor on his head. He looked bored, but perked up when he saw me.
"Hey. You're really pretty. Here's your pizza."
He held it out to me smiling. I blinked, unsure of what to say.
"I actually live right across the street from here," he continued, turning his body slightly and pointing. "Obviously when I'm not working. That'll be $15.55."
I fumbled to think of a response as I handed him a 20, and gestured for him to keep the change.
"Thanks," I said finally, shifting my weight. "Nice to meet you."
"I'm Ryan," he said and stuck out his hand. I shook it. His hands were cold and clammy.
"Ava."
"That's a pretty name."
I smiled awkwardly, unsure of how I felt about him. "Thanks."
I took the pizza off his hands and we stood there silently.
"Well it was nice meeting you," I said taking a few steps back into the house. "Have a good night."
"You too!" he called as I shut the door. I shook my head and brought the pizza in, looking at Rachel who had just watched the interaction.
"I don't get it," I said. "What the hell is wrong with this place?"
"Hey don't blame La Push for your bad experience," she defended. "And isn't he from Forks anyway?"
"He said he lived across the street," I said and her eyes opened wider.
"Great, that's just what we need."
"Now you see the problem?" I laughed setting the pizza on the couch between us and taking a seat. I put the soda on the floor.
"Embry's not gonna be happy," she said playfully.
"You're so stupid," I said opening the box.
"Am I?" she asked as I took a slice. "Am I?"
"Yes," I said flatly.
I bit into my pizza and sighed. I hadn't eaten the entire time Embry was here and I didn't eat breakfast.
Truth be told I was completely uncomfortable eating in front of people; the idea of them even perceiving me as having an appetite was extremely embarrassing for some reason. Previously I hadn't had the best relationship with food, especially in high school. Remnants of my problem stuck around and to this day I still could not eat in front of strangers. Friends too sometimes. Rachel knew this and made a point of protecting my feelings wherever we went; it was the same reason she didn't ask me if I wanted anything at the bonfire.
Around her I was comfortable enough to the point where I could be completely naked around her without a second thought, and more importantly able to pig out around her. We had only known each other for a little over a year but it felt like way longer than that; we dormed together my freshman year, her sophomore year, which meant she was a year older than me.
I looked at her, in her big hoodie and pajama pants, and smiled. I briefly thought over all we'd been through together; I was very lucky to have met her. My best friend.
"The movies over," she announced as the credits began to roll. "You wanna watch another?"
I agreed and she skimmed through the options, taking it upon herself to pick since I had picked the first one.
Halfway through the movie I heard her snoring, which made me snort in amusement.
I quietly got up and padded into the kitchen, turning the sink water on and starting to attack the pile of dishes that we had created over the past couple of days.
I washed and dried them without much hassle; we didn't have a dishwasher so I did them all by hand, which is what I was used to from home anyway.
A little keyed up I continued to clean, wiping down the counters and folding all the blankets (very carefully) around Rachel. I also put in a load of laundry, snagging her dirty clothes off the floor and tossing them in with mine.
It was around 3:30 am when I finally started to get tired. I pulled one of the freshly folded blankets off of the back of the couch and settled down, pulling a pillow underneath my head. I selected another movie and closed my eyes, letting the low soundtrack lull me to sleep.

Embry

I stood watch outside her house, pawing at the ground impatiently as I watched her pace back and forth through the window.
Technically I was on patrol but when I had passed her house I saw the lights on and got curious.
She was cleaning, buzzing around the house energetically in the middle of the night. I watched as she carried a pile of clothes out of sight.
Dude you don't have to stalk her.
Shut up Jared, I complained. I'm not stalking her.
You are, he thought confidently. I'm watching you do it. In real time.
I'm just making sure she's okay.
Jared laughed teasingly. Okay from what?
Before I could answer the lights flicked off and the window went black, leaving me in the dark. She only left her bedroom light on, and I could see clearly through her big bay window. Her room was fairly sized, painted white and brown, and her bed was big. I wondered briefly how it felt to be in her sheets, surrounded by her scent.
God get a grip, Jared thought.
I growled. Mind your business.
We heard a light ringing indicating someone else had phased, joining in on our conversation.
Hey guys, Seth said. He always sounded so cheery. What's up?
Embry's stalking his girlfriend.
I'm not stalking her, I said at the same time Seth said She's your girlfriend?
Jared laughed internally.
I started trotting again, looking longingly one last time at the mostly dark house.
She's not my girlfriend, I said and I could hear the curiosity in Seth's head. Not yet.
That's the spirit, Jared thought.
Have you guys kissed? Seth asked.
Not exactly.
Did you ask her on a date?
Um not officially I guess.
Did you hold her han-
Seth what is your problem right now? I huffed. Jared's laughs echoed in our heads.
Nothing nothing, he defended, clearly not interested in starting an argument. I was just wondering what you've done to woo her.
We're taking it slow, I said. Jared snorted internally. I don't want to mess this up.
You'll figure out something, Seth encouraged.
I briefly thought about Paul, who was having no problem starting a relationship with Rachel. They had already been on a date and they've known each other for less than a week. It was so easy for him- he was a natural.
I was scared.
I was scared of doing something wrong, of moving too fast, of scaring her off. Of hurting her. My mind started to swirl with self doubt and uncertainty; I whined in frustration.
Dude calm down, Jared said. You'll get her. Just relax a little.
I didn't respond, instead focusing on the trail in front of me. His words rang in my head. Would things really work out as easy as he made it sound?
I hoped he was right, continuing my track and trying to focus on my task at hand.
By the time patrol ended it was nearly 4 am, and I still had school in the morning. My eyes had bags under them already as I trekked home and dragged myself up the front steps through the front door, only to be met with my mother sitting on the couch waiting for me.
"It's four am," she stated calmly. My heart beat picked up and I dreaded the conversation we were about to have.
"Mom I'm really tired," I said in exasperation. "Can we talk in the morning?"
"No we can't ," she snapped, sitting forward. "This is the fourth time this week you've snuck out so late only to come back at some ungodly hour. Do you have any explanation?"
I shifted my weight, squirming finder her heavy gaze.
"I'm sorry," I finally came out with, dragging my eyes up from the floor and looking into hers.
She huffed, shaking her head. "I don't understand what's going on with you."
I didn't have an answer, shoving my hands in my pockets and staring at the ground in front of me. I wished once again for her to be in on the secret- it was no use though. Alpha's order. And beyond that, what it meant to be a shifter was a secret meant to be protected
"I'm sorry," I said and she huffed.
"Well it doesn't seem like it," she said and I hated how sad her voice sounded.
"Just go to bed," she said finally, her voice tired. I let out a breath and went to my room.
She didn't move as I passed her.
When I got to my room I flopped down on my bed, letting out a sigh. Everything was so complicated now.
One good thing remained; I had met my soulmate. My Ava. And no matter what happened I knew I was made for her. And no one could take that away.

a/n: some nice Rachel x Ava fluff, I love their friendship <3  a little background on Embry as well. I hope you liked it! Don't forget to vote and comment <3