Epilogue

Nyx

    I lean against the railing, my weight supported on my elbows through the dark fabric of my usual Night Court attire. I stare out into the stars, looking over the Velaris sky. I want to be your star. The golden lights sprinkle throughout the deep violet of the night sky, growing as more citizens filter through the streets. Are you a star?

    "There you are, I've been looking for you."

    I look over my shoulder My father stands tall, his lips curling into a worried smile. I turn back to the stars, my heart heavy despite my laugh. He walks forward, mirroring my gesture a few feet to my side. "I missed this. I don't think I realized the true effect of the waning magic, how dull Velaris was in comparison to now." He looks at me sidelong. "How about we go for a fly? It's been weeks."

    I shake my head, frowning at my hands. "Maybe later."   

    "Nyx, talk to me. Is everything okay?" I lift my shoulders, unsure how to answer, not trusting my own voice, my emotions.     "I might have been recovering, but I haven't been blind. I know when something is bothering you." He takes my repeated silence as answer enough. "Ah—so it's the girl."

    "Zaria," I snap, adding quietly, "her name is Zaria."

    "Right, of course. My apologizes. Zaria."

    "I really don't want to talk about it."

    He places a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Let's go for a fly. I promise it'll make you feel better."

    I sigh, relaxing with the thought of how the wind might feel blowing against my skin and wings, whipping through my hair, drifting my thoughts away as well. "Yeah, alright."

    He buzzes with anticipation beside me and we scale the railing, shooting into the shadows of the night.

——————

    I've flown with Atlas, I've flown with my Uncles, Cassian and Azriel, my mother, I've even technically flown with Zaria—but none of these experiences compare to flying with my father. He taught me how to fly, he made me fall in love with flying time and time again. To think—there was a time I could have flown with him for the last time and not known it. I shake my head at the upsetting thought, forcing it out of mind.

    He stills beside me, shouting over the harsh winds. "Everything okay?"

    "I'm okay," I answer.

    He nods, gesturing towards a low mountain clearing. "Let's stop there."

    I follow, working my wings hard and fast to surpass him, dispelling great energy. Regardless of the disadvantage of his recovery, he is still strong and fast. I smile for the first time in weeks.

    He laughs as we land, a wide grin across his face. "See, I told you you'd feel better."

    I double over, breathing hard. "How are you still so fast?"

    "I am the most powerful High Lord in all of history, it's going to take a lot to bring me down." He pauses, watching me. "It'll be you someday, you know."

    I straighten, having finally caught my breath. "Not someday soon, I hope." You are good, and you are kind, and you are more powerful than you realize. I wince at the memory.

    "Do you love her?"

    My eyes snap up, not anticipating the question. He looks at me expectantly and I grimace.  "I did, yes."