Chapter 22

Zaria

After a good nights rest and a fulfilling breakfast, I find myself in the palace gardens, searching around for the sunstone orb. I spent the latter half of the morning searching with Nyx, ravaging areas we were allowed access to with no avail. The palace was simply too large and we had already overstayed our welcome; Thesan was under the impression that we'd be leaving that night. In a panicked frenzy of misunderstanding, Nyx had claimed that we would be gone by nightfall. His excuse for the blunder when I had approached him after breakfast was, "This is why I let you do the talking." So, now, we had until nightfall to find the orb or otherwise develop suspicions when we insisted to stay another night.

I kick off my boots and lay back into the lush grass, staring up at the long bridge connecting the gilded towers of the palace. I close my eyes and let the sun warm my face, reach ing out my hands, fisting the blades of grass, and wiggling my toes. I finally feel a reason to smile. For a moment, my mind wanders and I imagine I'm in the Spring Court. I breathe in the air and pretend I'm lying outside the manor house, Iris a furry ball of sunshine at my feet. I let my memory wander even further, to the past, when I'd have picnics with my father. We'd pick strawberries together and tell stories in the hills. I wonder what he'd say if he saw me now—what he'd do. I shake the thought away, cringing because it's not pleasant. He wouldn't be happy. He'd tell me to stay away from Nyx, say that nothing good can come out of the Night Court. Could he be right? Or was he just bitter? No, I shake that thought away too. Of all things Nyx could or might be, good was definitely one of them.

A shadow looms over me and I scowl. "You are blocking my sun."

"Sorry princess, but there's been a dilemma."

I crack one eye open and find Nyx standing over me. "What...dilemma?" I ask him slowly.

He crosses his arms, the sun blinging behind him. "Okay, don't look at me like I did something wrong."

"Did you—do something wrong?"

He drops his arms and shifts his eyes to the left. "Maybe."

I sit up on my elbows with a grunt and fold my legs beneath me. I pat the grass on my side and Nyx sits down. "Talk," I say with a sternly.