Chapter 6

Zaria

I don't let the tears fall until i've closed my bedroom door behind me, leaning against it. They come silently, the salty taste touching my lips—tears of frustration because the only home I've ever known is on it's way to ruin.

Something, somehow, is killing the Spring Court and the rest of Prythian with it. Spring is my family—the trees, the grass, the flowers, the cool touch of the creek water, the beating sun, my cat Iris. Without the magic of the lands, even little Iris will cease to exist.

She pushes my door open and jumps onto my lap where I sit at the edge of my bed. I choke back a sob and stroke her orange, sunshine fur. "I know, I'm scared too."

I lie back on the bed, staring at the ceiling, drying my tears, Iris still held warm against my chest. There is a smudge of paint left on the ceiling—most likely overlooked from long ago.

I am a fool for attempting to trust Nyx again. I should have left with the book when I had the chance. Being alone comes easily to me. I don't need him and I will never need him. I can save Prythian on my own, with the content of those books committed to memory. I will save Prythian on my own.

Iris drifts to sleep in my arms. I place her down gently at the foot of the bed and trudge to the bathroom. I tie my hair in a knot and run a hand through my fringe, staring at myself in the mirror. I rub the frustration from my face and fold my arms against the cool surface of the sink. With a deep breath, the memories resurface.

His hands feel good in my hair, on my skin. They're soft. They're gentle when they wrap around my back. Will you help me, Nyx? It isn't true. Mates.

Mates. We knew then, the both of us, that we were mates. A single night turned into a nightmare. He panicked—I could see it in his eyes. The son of the High Lord of the Night Court, mated to the daughter of the Spring Court, the daughter of a brute, a no good monster. I shake my head at the thought. I love my father, regardless of how others may view him.

Well, I didn't want it either. My father had every right to tell me to stay away from that family, and I should. I will.

I smile to myself in the mirror, composed, and return to my bed for a good nights sleep. Calanmai is soon—and I have a lot to prepare for.