Chapter 44: Jason's Funeral

Start from the beginning

"Oh, Will." Rachel said, shaking her head. "I'm really sorry. But I think that you and your siblings will be just fine if he dies. Kids don't suddenly combust when their parents die. That's not how it works."

"Yeah, but my dad is a god. Things are different."

"That's true. But trust me, as a semi- Oracle of Delphi, I know you'll be alright. All of the Apollo kids will be."

"What about you? You're the Oracle. What would happen? I can't lose The Incredible Rachel Elizabeth Dare."

She smiled at him. "If he really doesn't make it through this, even though I think he will, I'll be okay. Maybe my Delphi powers won't be, but I'm sure that I'll be perfectly healthy."

Will nodded. "Okay."

"Now. How are you doing, taking care of that boyfriend of yours?"

"It's just really sad, you know? He was doing so well. He really was doing a lot better, Rach. Why do these things happen to him? Hasn't he suffered enough?" Will sniffled.

"Even before Jason died, he was still struggling. He doesn't have any self-preservation. You know what he told me? He said that I give his life meaning. While that made me really happy, he also has to live for himself, too.

"I don't think he can take much more. Do you know how heartbreaking it is to see the person you love most getting better, a lot better, only to get worse? He's barely holding on right now. I'm trying my best to help him, but there's only so much I can do.

"I just want him to feel better. I want him to be alright. He told me he doesn't believe that he can get better again. Where does that leave him if he doesn't even believe? He is made up of so many tragedies that he doesn't even believe he can be happy anymore. That is the saddest thing I've ever heard. He thinks that the fates don't want him to be happy, that it's basically destined. He doesn't understand how sad that makes me feel. Nobody should have to feel that way! Nobody should have to go through all of those things!

"And sometimes I get really scared that he's just going to have a psychotic break, or something. That he's going to go insane. Because I swear that I don't understand how he hasn't yet." Will was trying to wipe away his tears.

"I'm just scared something else is going to happen. That one little thing will be enough to push him over the edge. I love him so much, and I'm just so afraid for him."

They were both quiet for a minute. Then Rachel said, "You love him?"

Will barked out a very sad and dry laugh. "Definitely."

"Are you going to tell him?"

Will raked a hand through his hair. "I had....I had plans. But now that Jason....It's definitely not the right time. I mean, I was already scared that I was going to freak him out."

"Then how about you wait for him to tell you that he loves you?"

"What if he doesn't, though?"

Rachel rolled her eyes. "You both are so dumb."

"I'm serious! Just because he really likes me doesn't mean he's in love with me!"

"Just....wait, okay? Let him say it first. I think it makes the most sense, at least for right now."

Will nodded. "Okay." He wiped at his eyes again. "I should probably start getting ready for the funeral."

"Hey, don't bottle up your feelings, okay? You know that's not good for you."

"I won't. It did feel nice, talking. Thanks, Rachel."