chapter twenty two

Start from the beginning

Sarah laughs, "Some vampire jerk stood her up. She wants to make a point but I-"

Before Sarah could finish her sentence, the substitute walks up to the door and slams her hand on it, "All warriors must get to work. The hour of judgement approaches." She says, and Ethan ate it up. He grins and nods eagerly, "Okay." He practically floats back into the classroom while Lucia addresses the girls.

"Uh, so, where are the girl warriors?" Erica asks, raising her eyebrows.

"Banished." Lucia says with a disgusted look on her face, "Maidens have no use but to serve their queen when the hour is at hand." She shuts the door in their faces, earning scoffs from Erica and Mary.

"Wow, stuck in the 19th century much?" Mary retorts, crossing her arms.

"That was weird." Sarah adds. Mary nods.

"Makes me wanna turn that sub, into a sandwich." Erica snaps, walking away.

Back in the class, the guys continue to be mesmerized by Lucia. "What did Miss. Lucia mean by hour of judgement?" Ethan asks.

"She's talking about a test." Rory gushes, not taking his eyes off her.

"Yes," she says, turning around with a glass skull in her hands, "You will all be tested." Benny immediately raises his hand, "Oh oh, test me first! Is the question, are you pretty? Answer," he starts nodding his head, "Yeah." Ethan smacks his arm, "Dude!" "Ow! What?" Benny whines. "Uh hello, you have a girl-"

"Now, who will help me?" Miss Lucia asks, and all the guys in the class raise their hands, including Benny and Ethan, who both momentarily forget about their recent conversation.

...

"This is the weirdest homework ever." Ethan says.

"What part of sacred list of offerings to please the heavens don't you understand?" Benny asks in a matter of fact tone. "Uh, all of it. I mean look at this; obsidian, plumeria something-ugh, I don't even know what half of this stuff is, let alone where to find it." Ethan replies.

"Never question the orders of a babe, alright? Now if you don't mind all I need to be teacher's pet is, bloodstone." Benny says while looking at the paper. Ethan takes it out of his hand and smacks him in the head. "Ow! What was that for?" Benny whines. "Dude, snap out of it. You have a girlfriend, remember? Mary? Short, brunette, cute, the girl you've been obsessed with for the past ten months, any of these ringing a bell?" Ethan exclaims.

"Hey, only I can call her cute." Benny retorts, pointing a finger at him. "There ya go." Ethan replies, patting his shoulder, "You're back. And so is she."

"What're you talking about?" Benny asks. Ethan grins and takes him by the shoulders and turns him around to see Mary standing between Erica and Sarah, who were both smiling.

"Surprise!"

Benny's eyes go wide and he grins, "No way." Mary giggles, "Yes way. Now what does a girl have to do to get a hug from her boyfriend around here?"

Benny immediately goes and swiftly picks her up in a hug, spinning her around. His chest fills with joy and he felt his entire body relax, he didn't realize how much he missed holding her. He sets her down, and takes her hands, "What're you doing here? I thought you weren't coming back until this afternoon."

"I may have fibbed about the time." She chuckles, "I wanted to surprise you."

"Well consider me surprised." He says, kissing her forehead and pulling her into his chest.

"Hey, you guys have any bloodstone? It's sounds vampirey?" Ethan asks Erica and Sarah. "All out of bloodstone, but I can make you bleed with a rock." Erica shoots back.