22: Traitor, Liar, Heartbreaker (With More Betraying, Lying, and Heartbreaking)

I called Izzy on the phone the day I was taking a flight out to surprise Axl. He answered surprisingly quickly. "What's up?" He asked me. "And how did you get this number?"

"Axl gave me all of the numbers and fake names you guys used for the hotels in case anything came up. But I need your help with something."

"What is it?"

I leaned on the edge of the kitchen counter, twirling the phone's cord around my finger. "I need you to help me surprise Axl. I want to get dressed up for him. I bought a corset, but I can't tie it myself. And maybe you can help me with my hair?"

There was a long pause. "We're gonna be at the venue by the time you get here. You're gonna have to meet me backstage."

"That's fine. Just as long as I can do it before Axl gets back to his hotel room."

"I'm guessing you want me to make him go there immediately after the show, too?"

"Yes." I picked up the suitcase I'd already packed. "I appreciate this."

"Good for you," he said sarcastically. "I'll be waiting for you when you get here."

And he really was. I opened the back door, and he led me right to his dressing room. I'd already had the dress and corset on, I just needed him to tie the latter. And to fix my messy hair, too. I pulled the red dress that Axl had given me over my head, revealing the tight, laced undergarment. "Tell me when to stop," he said, taking a string into each hand. I sucked in a breath, and he started pulling. I let him pull it until my stomach hurt.

"That's tight enough," I gasped. He stopped pulling, and tied the strings together.

"Can you get your dress on by yourself?" He asked me. It was difficult to breath with the corset this tight, much less put on another piece of clothing. I shook my head. "Is it too tight?" He asked, reaching for the strings again.

"No, no it's-" the door to his dressing room was thrown open.

"Izzy I was wondering if-" Axl was standing there. He saw me, in only a corset and my panties, and Izzy with his fingers on the strings. My dress was on the floor, my hair still a mess. "Lucy. Get out." His voice was cold, icy, terrifying.

"Axl, you don't under-" I started.

"I said get the fuck out!" He shouted. I shut my mouth, knowing he wouldn't believe me even though I was telling the truth. It wasn't what it looked like, but he was drunk and jumping to conclusions. I couldn't bend over to grab my dress in this corset, so I started walking out of the room without changing. Axl produced a switchblade, cutting my corset off. "Get dressed, and get out." I quickly pulled the dress over my head, and I did as he asked.

I cried myself to sleep that night. "God!" I called out, rubbing my nose, which was dripping with clear fluid. "God, take me back! I'm done with Axl!"

My wishes were answered. I was brought back up to Heaven immediately. "You still have time," God reminded me. 

"I don't care," I sniffed, rubbing my eyes. "He won't listen to me when I talk to him about myself, much less you. I'm done with him." The proclamation was  a blatant lie. Of course I wasn't done with Axl. For Heaven's sake, I loved him, but he was definitely done with me. He won't want to see me again, so if I fail, he'll be happy.