12 - Scarless Rumors

Start from the beginning

"I didn't expect you to be a junkie on top of all things." This time, Kim was the one to pour gasoline on fire, as this set off a rapid conversation among the rest of the class. Chloe held my hand in support as I stared bitterly at the scene in front of me.

"Just shut the hell up, Lie-la."

Kagami's voice seethed with venom. "I'm sick of your lies. If you would just shut up for a second, this headache I have would go away." she said. Lila gasped in shock. The class followed.

"Or even better, why don't you get lost?" I hissed out, fed up. Lila suddenly ducked her head, then slowly raising it, her eyes dripping with tears. Her hand shook, as if she was scared out of her mind.

"Oh, cry me a river, and drown in it." Chloe spit out.

Honestly, I was impressed.

Lila could have pursued a career in acting and make it to the Top 10.

"I-i was just worried about you, Marinette. Why are you bullying me?" she asked, voice shaky as Alix and Juleka rushed to her aid. "Why do you have to be so mean, Marinette?" shouted Alix, clutching the sobbing Lila.

"Yeah, she was just worried about you." Juleka murmured softly.

But I was at my wit's end.

"Well, why don't you just speak louder, Juleka?!" I screamed. "And you-" I pointed to Alix. "Why don't you just win a sports competition on your own instead of hiding behind the accomplishments of your bastard of a boyfriend?"

Juleka looked hurt. So did Alix.

But I didn't care. Not anymore.

Silence filled the halls of the hotel, as passersby stopped and stared at the commotion. The receptionist had a phone in her hand, seemingly ready to call security. I panted as Lila's sobs reduced to hiccups, fear in her eyes.

I scoffed at the silence.

I reached into my bag, grabbing a letter and walking towards Ms. Bustier, just to shove it softly into her hands. I especially had made Bruce write it and sign it for me after I explained my situation to him.

It was a letter granting us permission to stay at Wayne Manor until the trip was over. There was also a clause Bruce had added, something about him taking responsibility in case something were to happen to us.

I walked back to where my friends were standing, surprised. "Guys, go get your luggage from your rooms and meet me outside. I'll explain later." I said, trying to calm my anger. "But Mari-" "Trust me." I said, cutting off Chloe, as she looked me in the eye and nodded.

The others walked into the hotel and up the elevator, Alya promising to bring back my luggage too. I stood in the corner, tapping my foot impatiently as I waited for them to get back.

"Marinette." Ms. Bustier called out, catching my attention. I saw that she had the letter open wide, like she had just finished reading it. "Be safe, especially at night. Gotham is dangerous." she warned, smiling. "Thank you, miss." I replied.

The silence was deafening.

I decided to wait outside.

"I'll wait outside then, Ms. Bustier." I said, as she nodded her head in approval. In the corner of my eye, I saw Lila snatch the letter and read it with Alix and Juleka by her side, gasping. Ignoring her, I walk towards the door.

"You're going to regret this, Marinette." warned Lila, glaring at me. "You shouldn't do this, Mari. We're your friends." let out Rose, pissing me off to no extent. "You're making a huge mistake." Lila warned again.