"We did find information, just not what you wanted." Romero defended. It had been five days since the incident at this point, and Theo needed Romero's help with finding information about Leah. It was surprising that it even took this long to find information on her.

 "We found her old address, job, high school, family, but not any hard evidence of something being wrong." He explained. "The closest thing that she could be upset about was the death of her mother when she was nine years old, but she probably would have already moved on from that."

"What about hospital records?" 

He shook his head. "Nothing." I sighed and sunk back onto my chair and put my head in my hands. How could Leah have no hospital of any sort in the past few years? Was it luck? Or something else?

I waited for one of them to finish speaking, but they didn't. I placed my chin on my hands and looked at them.

"Anything you want to say, Mattheo?" He somehow shrunk even further into his chair when I addressed him. It wasn't silent for long.

"It wasn't his fault that there was nothing useful on her, Vlado!" Romero immediately defended him and straightened in his chair.

"But if there was nothing useful on her, why did it take so long for you to tell me that?" I criticized. 

Romero rose from his chair angrily. "Because he wanted to make sure he hadn't missed anything!" I glared at him angrily before letting out a sigh. He was right. I was letting all of this get to my head and not being reasonable.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't be angry at you." I sighed. Romero stayed standing for a moment before Theo spoke up.

"It's ok." Romero slowly sat back down.

Why was I being so inconsiderate? I knew Theo didn't like being yelled at given his history, and the fact that I yelled at him for no proper reason was even worse.

"No," I dragged my hands down my face, "no, it isn't." We all sat there in silence for a couple of minutes. I was about to tell them they could leave but was cut short by a splash outside. I spun in my chair to look through the large window behind me and got a view of the pool. 

Including those in it. 

Clarke swam in the pool with Mary and Amelia, while I saw Leah lying on an empty chair beside it. My heartbeat picked up at seeing Leah. This girl was doing some crazy stuff to me.

"Hey, I know!" I turned around to look at Theo who was now standing with a smile on his face. "Let's go join them!"

* * * * *

Leah POV

I could hear loud laughs from the pool in front of me and closed my eyes. There were occasional splashes from the pool and I felt the corners of my mouth curl upwards. 

It felt nice to finally relax and not have to worry about work or anything like that. Just laying in the warm sun-

"Cannonball!" My eyes snapped open and I saw a blurred shape speeding to the pool. It didn't take me long to figure out that the blurred shape was a person as they launched themselves into the pool and created a splash so big that water droplets fell onto my legs.

"Theo!" I heard Clarke shout as he rose out of the water. "You got my hair wet!" He gave her a cheeky smile as he combed a hand through his wet hair.

"Sorry, C." He chuckled, but it was obvious that he wasn't. She splashed water in his direction, but he easily dodged the droplets and let out another chuckle. There was another sudden splash and I looked away from the two and saw Romero diving into the pool.

Wait, if Romero and Theo were here, then that would probably mean that-

"Hey, Leah." I whipped my head to look at the man standing in front of me. Vlado wore a white shirt that hugged his chest and shorts that reached his knees. It felt weird seeing him in short clothing for a change. He usually wore long-sleeved clothes inside.

"Hey," I said before the silence became awkward. He sat down on the foldout chair beside me, and silence hung between the two of us. 

I hugged my stomach in an attempt to make myself feel more at ease, but it didn't help. I could feel his eyes on me, and that didn't make it any better. Why wouldn't he go into the pool with the others?

"So, how have you been?" He broke the silence and looked at me. As I looked into his eyes, I could see the real meaning of the question.

"I'm better." He nodded as he looked back at the pool.

"That's good." He said and then the silence continued. Why did it have to be so awkward now?

"Leah, I need to ask you something." Vlado asked-no, stated after a few minutes, and I felt myself getting nervous. He opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by the drenched person standing in front of me.

"Leah!" Amelia exclaimed, and I felt myself let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "You should join us!" There it was again. The pit.

I shook my head. "No, I'm all good."

She didn't take that as an answer.

Amelia grabbed my arms and started pulling me off of the chair. She struggled for a bit, but Clarke came over to help her and they managed to get me standing. Now that just made me even more nervous.

"Guys, stop," I laughed nervously. I didn't want to make them feel bad, but I didn't want them to think I was joking. All she did was smile and continue pulling me closer and closer to the pool.

"Guys, seriously-stop." My laughing stopped as we got closer, and we eventually made it to the edge of the pool. I struggled to get out of their grasp, but it was too late. The water absorbed my body as we fell into the pool, and only then did they let me go. My feet sunk to the floor and I pushed myself towards the surface.

I took a deep breath of air as my face broke through the surface, and my arms immediately hugged my now cold body. The two in front of me cheered with big smiles on their face at successfully getting me into the pool. But I didn't laugh with them.

The first person to come over to me was Mary with a worried look on her face.

"Are you ok?" I nodded, but she scanned my face anyway. I saw her eyes widened slightly.

"You're make-up is running." She lowered her voice to a whisper. Damn it. I gave her a small smile as I headed to the edge of the pool and began lifting myself up.

"Hey, guys! How's it going?" Everyone looked to the doors of the house and saw Scarlett, Rowan, Angelo, Alexandra, Liam, and Rosa make their way over to the pool. They all wore swimsuits and they all dipped into the pool as I was getting out of it.

"Nothing much. I'm just getting out because some people decided to pull me in." I gave Clarke and Amelia a teasing glare, but I was just trying to hide the tears I felt blurring my view.

"I'll come with you," Mary said as she pulled herself out of the pool. We headed to my chair and grabbed our towels. As I brought myself up, I made eye contact with Vlado. He was looking at me with a look I couldn't really place, so I decided it was best to leave before he saw something different about my face.

I waved goodbye to everyone and walked inside, but as soon as I heard the doors close, I bolted to my room. I heard Mary running behind me, and we made it to our room in a flash. 

We quickly made our way into our room, and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding when the door closed. Mary walked over to my wardrobe and pulled the doors open. She grabbed out a hoodie and threw it over to me and turned around to give me some privacy. I wore a plain white crop top under my shirt, and I pulled the shirt over my head and was about to put on the hoodie but froze when I heard the click of the bedroom door.

"Leah? Mary? Are you guys in here-" The familiar voice stopped short when their faces saw mine. The four of us stood in place, unaware of the person lurking in the shadows, seeing everything.

"What," Clarke muttered, "the hell."