💜Part Seven💜

You rushed into your bedroom, tears in your eyes as you heard Michael begin to follow you. It hadn't taken him long to figure out that you had been listening in, and when he learnt that you had been lurking at the foot of the staircase, he was swift to chase after you.

Even though you had tears in your eyes, you cursed yourself for being so weak that you were brought to such an edge by something that really didn't measure up. At the end of the day, Beth was Michael's fianceé, why wouldn't they profess their love for each other?

"(Y/N)!" Michael pushed your door open before you could shut it completely, but you didn't care, for you had already begun to pack your bags. "What were you doing?!" he questioned.

"It doesn't matter," you huffed, bustling about to get all your belongings into your bags.

"(Y/N)," he walked further into the room. "What are you doing?" he reached out, grabbing your arm. "Stop! Why are you acting like this?"

"Let me go," you yanked your arm back. "You don't need to grab me to get me to answer a question," you narrowed your eyes. "I'm packing my things, as I intend to leave tomorrow morning. Don't worry, I'll talk to Beth once she gets back, and then I'll leave,"

Michael said nothing, simply watching you with a sullen gaze.

Finally, after a few more minutes, he took in a breath before speaking. "(Y/N), if it's what I said back in the garden...I didn't mean it,"

"See, that's the thing!" you stopped what you were doing, turning to face him. "You say you didn't mean it but I want you to mean it. I probably sound crazy right now but I might as well just tell you how I feel!" you didn't know whether you wanted to laugh or cry. "I was...I was wrong, all along. I was wrong," you shook your head, completely frustrated with yourself.

"Wrong about what?" he got closer to you, and if he had gotten any closer, it may as well have been a sin considering what it would have done to you.

"About...my feelings," you released a deep breath, your chest falling in the process. "I didn't even know it...but...I think I....might have loved you all along. I said I wasn't ready for anything romantic with you back then...but God knows I didn't know myself well enough to have made that call," your eyes scanned his face tenderly. "My biggest regret will be letting you go that morning, letting you go with the belief that I didn't feel something more for you,"

He closed his eyes, a pained look on his face. Those were the words he had always wanted to hear, well at least the part where you told him you felt deeply for him. For ultimately, the truth was the he had always had a place in his heart for you, even when you both had tried to forget that night. Yet such sweet confessions seemed to arrive much too late.

"I don't expect anything to come out of this...and I...don't want to hurt Beth," you grimaced, fighting back the foolish tears that threatened to flow down your cheeks. "So...the best thing I...can do now is leave,"

"I would argue...but...if leaving will make you hurt less, then...I wouldn't wish to stop you," he hung his head. "I....may never feel for anyone the way I feel for you...but I do love Beth - I don't want to hurt her either," he shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants. "So...if you wish to leave tonight, I'll take it upon myself to discuss it with her when she gets back. I'm sure she'll understand,"

"She'll understand that the girl that's supposed to be her best friend is in love with her fiancé?" you asked with a cynical tone. "She'll understand that her best friend has decided to leave during such a vital point in her life?"

Then, Michael's face changed slightly, a more stoic expression taking over his features.

"She'll understand when I tell her about what really happened between us," his eyes darted everywhere, looking at everything else but your eyes. "She'll hate me, I know...but I also know she'll calm down eventually,"

"And after that, the only other person she'll ever trust is you, not me, clearly," you lamented. "I can't believe I'm doing this...I can't believe I'm going to leave her like this,"

The alternative was so simple. It could have been an easy decision to just stay, and wait until you could explain things to her - but it was quite a different experience when you were actually in the midst of it all. With all the overwhelming emotion that plagued you, it was all too easy to want to be selfish and run away from it all.

So when Michael offered to have one of his trusted men, Bill, to drive you back to the home you knew - you accepted. You had only been there for about a day, and yet so much had unfolded. Honestly, you were leaving just as quickly as you had arrived.

Before you had known it, you had managed to pack your things properly, and in the same fashion, you had found yourself heading out through the front doors of the mansion.

The whole thing was a blur for you. From packing your things, to leaving your room, to walking out completely - it was all one big blur.

Bill had already been waiting in the car when you walked out, displaying prompt response to the request Michael had given only a few minutes earlier. All it had taken was a phone call to the security quarters, and your ride was ready.

As strange as it may have sounded, the two of you wanted to separate at that point in time. Despite how harrowing it was to know that true love might have been realized a little too late, being apart felt as though it would help you heal. In some weird way, being together was more likely to cause you more despair than it was to bring you joy.

Perhaps the innate need to breakaway from each other had permitted it to be easier for Michael to suggest that you leave earlier, making it even easier for you to accept.

In silence, Michael helped you take your bags to the car, even though you didn't technically need help. Once he had done that, you had gotten into the car, only to be met with Bill's solemn outlook.

You and Bill were well acquainted, so he had been able to tell whenever the silence was the devastating kind. He didn't need to hear anything to know that something had gone down between you and Michael.

After you shut the door, you merely kept your stare fixed on Bill, refusing to look at Michael. The sensation of his intense gaze felt incredibly commanding, but you simply looked straight ahead - knowing that you would potentially break down if you had glanced at him one more time.

Thankfully, Bill spoke up before anymore tension could build up.

"Where to, Miss (Y/N)?" he asked quietly.

It took you a while to answer, and with each second that passed, you could feel those tears welling up again. But you wouldn't allow them to fall until you were well out of Michael's sight.

"Home,"

៚ ⋯⋯⊰☆