💜Part Eight💜

You sat by the telephone, wondering as to whether or not you should have called Beth.

After Bill had brought you home, you'd barely had any time to readjust yourself before dawn started to break. The entire ride home had been one of the most tension-riddled ones you had ever taken, and you'd had a lot of awkward rides before. Though Bill hadn't said anything, you would catch him stealing glances at you through the rear-view mirror, just to see if you were alright. Obviously you weren't alright, as dramatic as that might have sounded.

But Bill hadn't said a word to you until he had helped you take your bags up to your door, after which he paused for only a moment to look at you meaningfully.

And even as you sat at the telephone alone, contemplating the idea of calling to see if Beth had returned, you could still remember his words as if he were standing there still, repeating it.

"Just know that not everything is as it seems. I only hope Michael will see that too, before it's too late,"

Though his words were cryptic, you hadn't had too much time to think about what exactly they had meant, for all you could stress about was your best friend's impending reaction, and where that would put your friendship-turned-sisterhood.

Not that it felt like much of a sisterhood anymore, especially given the way you left.

Then, right as you had been about to pick up the telephone to call the house, it started ringing loudly. Admittedly, you jumped back a little, startled by the sudden piercing sound that seemed to blare even louder than it was supposed to. Picking up the receiver without thought, you brought it to your ear and answered with a shaky voice.

"Hello?"

"Hey, (Y/N).....it's Beth," the familiar voice greeted, making you subconsciously glance at the clock. It was well after eight in the morning now, so the timing made sense to you.

Maybe the two of you were more connected than you had thought. Just when you had decided to call her, she had called you.

"Beth..." you took in a deep breath. "Look, I have so-"

"Don't even bother," she laughed a little, leaving you slightly astounded. "I'm not back at the ranch yet, but Michael called me earlier...and told me everything. I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not upset.....but I don't hate you, if that's what you think," she sighed. "Why didn't you say anything to me?"

A very subtle smile of relief formed on your lips. "What....was I supposed to say? That I....felt for your fiancé in a way I shouldn't have?"

"Yeah, pretty much. I can't believe you thought I would hate you for it. I haven't forgotten that we were all friends before this...and that something should have been bound to happen between the two of you," she replied, her tone soft but firm. "You shouldn't have hidden it from me, especially after I told you we were getting married....but then again, I dumped this all on you at the last minute - so I have no right to be furious, really," she paused for a few seconds. "I'm just disappointed that you're not going to be there for the wedding, I wanted you to be there...but I understand,"

You couldn't believe that Beth was as calm as she sounded to be, and some part of you expected her to just burst into yelling at any given moment.

But she didn't.

"Beth...." you trailed off. "Why...aren't you mad at me? I mean, I...just...I would have-"

"Because you chose to do what was right. Instead of trying to act on your feelings with Michael...you gave him up and left," she answered. "Not many people would do that, trust me, it's what happened to my brother,"