23. Business & Pleasure

Start bij het begin

The problem was the other magazine that they had chosen to feature alongside hers. It was the coveted Forbes Top 25 under 25, and they had chosen the long-time rival to Chaeyoung's company, Jeon Jungkook, as their cover model. His picture was more like a fashion pictorial than a business shoot and featured him sitting on the chair wearing only an unbuttoned white shirt and black slacks. The sleeves were rolled up enough to show a glimpse of his forearm tattoos, and with his face turned to the side, Chaeyoung was sure she could see a new eyebrow piercing there. His dark hair was tousled unlike Chaeyoung's perfectly slick bun. And he was flashing a smile that looked perfectly candid, as if the photographer had caught him at just the right time.

As much as she hated to admit it, and as much as it bothered her that someone like him could be so unintentionally successful, even she couldn't deny how great of a picture it was. It made her magazine look like a real estate ad on the side of a bus. And as much as she was confident in her own skin, in her own success, it was pure sabotage to place her cover next to his.

Chaeyoung was almost scared to walk inside to check out the magazine stands in-person. Her worst fears came true when she saw how little of her magazines had sold and how little of Jungkook's magazines were left. It made her angry. To the point where her teeth clenched and she 'accidentally' spilled some of her coffee on the three remaining covers of Jungkook's smiling face.

'Woops," she muttered to herself with a little smile. Then, she adjusted the belt on her jumpsuit and calmly walked out of the bookstore before anyone could notice what she had done.

She felt good about herself again. Like that one little petty act was somehow enough revenge for everything Jeon Inc. had done to Park Enterprises. For now, anyway.

But what she had momentarily forgotten was that, just like Mondays in a work week, how something starts determines how it ends. Thus, if her day began with an act of bitterness, the rest of her day would follow suit. And she was not prepared for the karma that awaited her.

⤝❁⤞

There was nothing better than the feeling of walking into a room and immediately affecting the mood. Some lit up the room while others darkened it completely. Chaeyoung somehow managed to do both.

As soon as she walked through the entrance to the main office building of Park Enterprises, high heels tapping against the glistening white floors, designer bag dangling in the crook of her elbow, sunglasses resting on the roof of her head, people scampered to get out of her way.

Her assistant, Somi, immediately met her at the entrance, handing her an iPad that displayed her entire schedule for the day.

"Good morning, Ma'am. I noticed you were running a little late today, so I took the liberty of postponing your morning meeting by 15 minutes." she said, having to quicken her steps to match Chaeyoung's as she trailed behind her.

Chaeyoung swiped through the schedule while continuing to walk towards the office elevators, ignoring the numerous employees who were pretending to be busy with work and trying not to stare at her, but failing miserably. People feared her just as much as they respected her. Which was exactly the way she wanted it to be.

"Good, and what about breakfast?" Her tone was short and stern. Because as soon as she stepped through those doors it was all business. She was the boss, and she didn't want anyone to ever forget it.

She didn't even glance back as Somi handed her a still warm sandwich encased in tinfoil.

"Egg white and spinach panini with tomatoes and cheddar cheese on whole wheat bread, hold the onions and hold the avocado. Toasted, of course."