needing reassurance + comfort

*Joe calls Kamala for support during the hardest day of his presidency and his entire life. Enjoy!*

August 12th, 2021

It has been almost an hour since Jill went to the hospital. No updates about Jill from Timothy or the rest of Jill's Secret Service detail.

Joe doesn't know if no news means it's a good thing or if it's a bad thing. Joe's head is spinning out of control and he just can't sit still.

To keep himself busy, Joe has been jamming his clothes in his suitcase and Jill's clothes in her suitcase while his Secret Service detail packs the rest of the things that Joe and Jill brought to Camp David in the cars.

Joe paces around the Camp David house, needing to talk to someone about this situation and to also help calm him down. Jill is usually that person for him, but Jill is currently not here to help. 

Joe knows he can't call Hunter, because Hunter is on the other side of the country in California and he knows Hunter won't be able to get to DC for at least a few hours. Hunter will also be panicking because he and Jill have gotten close again ever since Beau arrived last year.

Joe knows he can't call Hallie because he doesn't want Natalie or Little Hunter to worry. Natalie and Hunter often tell Joe and Jill that they don't want to lose them just like they lost their dad, so having Jill in the hospital would be very traumatic to them.

Joe knows he can't call Naomi, Finnegan or Maisy because the three of them would be a mess. These three are all very close to Jill and they would be extremely upset knowing Jill is in the hospital.

Joe knows he can't call Ashley because he is afraid the scary news of Jill being in the hospital will make Ashley go into preterm labor. Joe doesn't want Ashley or his granddaughter in danger.

Joe doesn't want to call his brothers Frank or Jimmy, his sister Val or Jill's four sisters because they would all panic and make him feel worse. Joe knows his siblings and in-laws will mean well, but he doesn't need them panicking too.

Joe finally decides to call Kamala. Joe knows Kamala will listen to him and try her best to help him anyway she can. Kamala and Joe have a wonderful working relationship as well as a father daughter type relationship.

Joe and Kamala were almost enemies during the beginning of the campaign but now they are extremely close, considering each other family. Joe and Jill treat Kamala and Doug just like a daughter and a son and they treat Devi just like a grandson. 

Joe finds Kamala's phone number in his contact list and he calls her Joe begins to tear up and he tries to not to lose it but he does.

After a few rings, Kamala finally answers the phone and she is a chipper and happy mood, which makes Joe happy knowing she is having a great day with her newborn baby boy and husband.

"Hey, Joe! What's up? How are you today?" Kamala asks Joe as Joe begins to cry on his end of the line.

"Joe? Joe? Joe? Are you okay? Are you okay? What's wrong?" Kamala asks in lots of worry.

Joe appreciates that Kamala is worried about him but he absolutely hates when people worry about him.

"H-h-hey, Kamala. And n-n-o... I'm not okay! I'm not okay a-a-a-at all! Something is terribly wrong with Jill! Something is really really wrong with Jill!" Joe yells as he cries out, making Kamala's heart absolutely break for Joe.

"Joe, take some deep breaths. Take some deep breaths for me. I need you to slow down your talking a little so I can help you the best way I can, okay? What's going on with Jill?" Kamala asks Joe, as she coaches him to slow down his breathing.

Joe attempts to slow down his breathing and he does but he still can't talk straight.

"I-I-I don't know! I really d-d-don't know! She had some stomach pains last night after we went out to eat. She thought the stomach pains were just from the food she just ate, the food we had was s-s-spicy. And t-t-then this morning she w-w-was bleeding down there and she was in s-s-so much pain! I-I-I can't loose her, Kamala!" Joe yells, hyphenating and crying at the same time.

Kamala tears up and tries to not get upset because she doesn't want Joe to be even more upset then he is.

"Where is Jill at now, Joe? Is she with you still?" Kamala asks Joe softly.

"She is o-o-o-on her way to the hospital! Actually, she is probably there now! I haven't h-h-heard from her since she left. Secret Service wouldn't l-l-let me go with her! I told Jill's Secret Service agents to tell the doctors to do anything and everything to save her! I'm packing up our things from Camp David and I'll be on my w-w-way to the hospital." Joe says to Kamala as he begins to pace around the house

"Who is going to watch Major? Does Naomi, Natalie or Hunter have him?" Kamala asks Joe, curious on who will watch Major.

"No, Major is still with me. He can tell something is going on. He misses his Mama." Joe says as he pets Major's head, comforting the German Shepherd.

"Kamala and I can watch him for you and Jill! Major knows us well and he will be comfortable around familiar people." Doug says to Joe.

"I really appreciate that, Doug. Thank you so so much. I'll tell my Secret Service agents to take Major to your house instead of the White House." Joe says to Kamala and Doug. 

"And Joe, listen to me. Everything is going to be okay. I promise you. I promise! Jill is such a strong lady and she will get through this. Does Hunt, Ashley and Hallie know what's going on?" Kamala says to Joe.

"N-n-no! I don't want any of them or the grandkids panicking or worrying! Especially Ashley. I really don't want her to go into early l-labor. I didn't know who else to call." Joe says to Kamala as he sits down and relaxes as Major jumps on the couch next to him.

"I am really glad you called me, Joe. Please please please keep me updated on Jill, okay?" Kamala says to Joe.

"I w-w-will. Thank you so much for listening to me. I love you, Kamala. Thank you for being here for me." Joe says softly to Kamala.

"Aw, I love you too Joe! Please keep me and Doug updated, okay? We will be both praying for Jill." Kamala says softly to Joe.

"Thank you, Kamala. Talk to you later." Joe says to Kamala.

"Talk to you later, Joe." Kamala says ending her conversation with Joe.

Joe lays down on the couch and begins to cry again. Joe just wants everything to be already with Jill.

Major lays himself on Joe, cuddling with him which Joe loves. Joe squeezes Major into a hug, enjoying the company from his four legged companion.

"I want you to be a good boy for Kamala and Doug, okay? Be a sweet boy. And try to not bark as much, they have a baby. Okay?" Joe says sternly to Major, making sure Major behaves.

Major hasn't had the best time adjusting to White House life and the press loves to talk bad about him.

"Woof! Woof!" Major barks happily causing Joe to smile even with tears steaming down his cheeks.

"Good boy. Well, let's go!" Joe says to Major and Major runs out of the house with excitement.

Major gets in one car with a Secret Service Agent to head to Kamala and Doug's house while Joe climbs onto his car to head to Walter Reed household.

During his drive to the hospital Joe holds Beau's rosary beads close as he prays for Jill, praying that his wife is okay when he gets there.