《 Chapter 16 》

"Kieran," Daemon responded, stepping away. A smile played on his lips as he took in his dagger-cut shirt. "I see that your fashion sense is as horrendous as ever."

Kieran scoffed, caught off guard by the sudden remark. "Well, I see that your habit of attacking people on first sight remains unchanged."

"Why, I was simply trying to relocate you to a better area," Daemon responded, completely unbothered. "You can't blame me for thinking of your precious well-being."

"How did you even find me so fast, anyways?" he questioned. His timing was way too convenient to be called a coincidence.

"I saw you when you made your daring escape from underneath the car," Daemon stated. He chuckled lightly. "Never knew you were into such interesting hobbies."

Kieran felt his eye twitch. "And you just happened to be passing by?"

"Would you believe me if I said I was?" Daemon questioned, amusement glinting in his eyes.

"No," Kieran deadpanned immediately.

"Shame," he drawled. "And I thought our relationship had improved since the last time we saw each other."

"Then perhaps you should tell me more about yourself," Kieran countered, crossing his arms. "It's about time we get to know more about each other, don't you think?"

"Should I?" Daemon mused with a low chuckle. He took a step towards him, his gaze sharpening as his tone dropped even lower. "And what would I get in return? You and I both know that nothing there is nothing free in this world."

The alleyway they were in was completely cast in shadows, the dark atmosphere creating a subtle mood. It gave the feeling that anything could happen and no one from the outside would even know.

Suddenly, Valerie's words flashed in Kieran's mind without any warning.

He froze.

Why was he thinking about that now?

"Then how about an exchange of information?" he managed, trying to not let his thoughts run astray.

But it was as though he had flipped a hidden switch. Unnecessary thoughts flooded into his mind like water rushing though a broken dam, and suddenly, Kieran was glad that Daemon couldn't see his expression.

"There are two things you should know about me," Daemon began. "Two things in a human that I absolutely abhor. As long as you do not possess these qualities, I am sure that we can get along very well."

"What qualities?" Kieran questioned, anticipation coursing through him.

"The first one being greed," Daemon started, his gaze darkening. "Greed for money, greed for power, greed for eternal life. It is a filthy emotion that consumes its holder, stripping them of all sense of rationality until they meet their pathetic end, chasing after something they can never achieve."

Kieran listened intently, thoughts flashing in his mind.

Was he speaking from personal experience?