《 Chapter 12 》

Kieran was dreaming. He was sure of it because he had already experienced the same fragmented dream way too many times than he could count, unable to be forgotten no matter how hard he tried.

But dream wasn't the right way to put it. It was more like a nightmare that haunted his subconsciousness, one that made him completely paralyzed as he watched the scene unfold in front of him.

He saw a man barge into the room, his eyes shining a bright orange as he left a trail of burning flames in his wake. Screams and panicked cries rang in his ears as more people followed in after him, the world spinning around him as his surroundings faded to black.

When he regained his bearings, he found himself inside his old bedroom, hiding inside a closet, covering his ears as the sound of fighting broke out.

His vision turned to black once again, and when he came to, he was vaguely aware of a voice speaking to him, but all he could hear was the ringing in his ears as horrified screams filled the sky.

The world spun around him, and when he was finally able to find his bearings, he saw a pair of familiar daggers being pressed into his hands.

Run, my star.

The words echoed in his ears as he ran through the woods as fast as his eight-year-old feet could carry him, disoriented as the earth trembled and shook. Balls of fire fell from the sky, dropping to the ground like asteroids and setting his surroundings ablaze. Clouds of dense smoke rose into the air, filling his lung as tears welled up in his eyes.

His vision blacked out again, and suddenly, he was able to see the blood red sky as demonic screeches and howls echoed through the air. A never ending wave of demons chased after him as he sprinted across the harsh terrain, gasping and panting for breath.

The ground caved underneath his feet and he fell once again, the darkness swallowing him up completely. The next thing he knew, he found himself in a pitch black space, completely empty save for a leather-bound book on the floor in front of him.

Open me, it seemed to entice him.

Open me and I will grant your deepest desires.

Hearing a low growl behind him, Kieran whirled around as razor sharp claws latched onto his arm, tackling him down. Twisting around, he saw glowing red eyes burning into him before he woke up, gasping and panting for breath.

His heart hammered inside his chest as a layer of cold sweat seeped through his clothes. The image of the predatory eyes locking onto him engraved itself into his memory as he felt chills run down his spine.

His dream had been different this time and he didn't like it at all.

Taking deep breaths, he tried to calm down as he glanced at the clock beside him. It was a little past seven in the morning.

He ran a hand through his hair and got out of bed, knowing that he wouldn't be able to fall back asleep after what he had experienced in his awful nightmare.

Opening his closet, Kieran decided to get ready as he picked out an white shirt, paring it with an inconspicuous grey jacket and black pants. After putting on his favorite black combat boots, he opened another drawer to reveal an assortment of wigs and colored contact lenses. He briefly swept his gaze across the collection and settled on a simple brown wig and matching dark brown lenses.

Hurrying downstairs, he met the rest of the group, each of them donning their own disguises as well.

"Shall we set off?" Mattias inquired, dressed in a dark grey turtleneck. He was donning a long haired wig that came up to his neck, with a pair of non-prescription glasses resting on his face.