Senior Citizen

Chapter 4 - Senior Citizen

Bonnie nearly started crying as her phone rang, waking her up from her slumber. She roughly grabbed the buzzing phone.

" What? " She growled into the speaker.

"Dang. Good morning to you too, Bon." Caroline's chipper voice said through the phone.

Bonnie took a deep breath. "Sorry, Care. Not a morning person. What's up?"

Caroline scoffed in disbelief. "What's up? What's up? It's the first day of school, Bonnie! That's what's up!"

"The first day of- shoot, I forgot!" She exclaimed and fell out on her bed, landing in a heap of blankets.

"Well, somebody's day is off to a rough start." Caroline commented, hearing the thud that Bonnie made.

"Hm, you think?"

"You're mean in the morning."

"I try."

Bonnie scrambled around her room, looking for nothing in particular. She checked the time. She still had a half an hour until school started. Phew . If she drove, she would make it in time.

"Bon, how does one forget about the first day of senior year? This is like the biggest day of our lives!" Caroline exclaimed.

"I didn't forget! Okay, well, I did forget, but my alarm clock was supposed to remind me!"

"Are you sure you didn't beat it up in your sleep?"

"Yes, Caroline. I'm sure I didn't beat up my alarm clock while I was sleeping . " Bonnie scoffed.

"You say it like it's not something you would do."

"It's not something I would- You know what? I'm above this. I'm gonna get ready for school, feed my cats and get there on time."

"Sounds like a plan."

"Yes it does. Are you wearing your fancy pants today?" Bonnie asked, her mood settling.

"Oh, yeah. Get ready, Bon."

"I'm ready, all right. I'm more than ready. I'm excited." Bonnie said. She held the phone between her shoulder and her ear as she struggled to put a pair of jeans on.

"Do you need a ride to school? I know your cars in the shop and if I hurry I can make it to your house." Bonnie asked.

"Actually, Katherine's giving me a ride today." Caroline said casually.

"Katherine's giving you a ride?" Bonnie asked, surprise evident in her voice.

"Well, don't sound so surprised. We're becoming sort of friends. And we live so close together, it's really practical. At least until I get my car back."

"That's great, Care!" Bonnie said. She was glad that two of her closest friends were becoming friends as well. Or at least hating each other less.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm gonna hang up so you can get your butt moving. Love you."

"Love you, too. Bye."

•••

After Bonnie's rushed morning, she finally made it to school.

"Hey, Bonster!" A voice called out. Bonnie turned to see Vicki Donovan.

"Hey, Vick." Bonnie crossed the parking lot to go say hi. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in college?"

"Where I should be and where I am are two different things." She said. Bonnie chuckled. "I'm just here to see Matty on his first day of senior year. They grow up so fast."