Friends and Waffles

hi, everyone! chapters for this are going to be out pretty fast (a chapter a day is the pacing i'm going with) because i'm just copying and pasting from my ao3 account. on ao3, i've gotten up to chapter 6 (i think) so those are all prewritten. but once i get all of those chapters uploaded to wattpad, it'll be a little slower. with that said, enjoy this chapter!

•••

Chapter 2 - Friends and Waffles

"Bon, it's my dad... he had a heart attack."

After Katherine weakly croaked those words, the night was a blur. Bonnie remembers pulling her friend into a hug, the hot weather feeling strangely cold in the moment.

She remembers Katherine clinging onto her throughout the whole car ride to the hospital. She remembers seeing Katherine try her hardest to hold in her tears but failing eventually. Giving into the grief and sobbing in Bonnie's arms.

Now, they were sitting in the dull waiting room in the Mystic Falls Hospital ER. The doctors rarely gave updates, Mr. Pierce was alive and recovering from the emergency bypass surgery they just performed on him.

Bonnie checked the clock on the wall. 12:30 AM.

Hm. It felt like it had been 10 minutes since they abruptly left The Splash, but in reality it had been seven hours. When the news that Katherine's father had a heart attack, all of their close friends made their way to the hospital. Katherine may not have gotten along with most of them, but they were like a family no less.

Matt, Tyler and Jeremy were all knocked out, empty cups of coffee in their hands. Even the caffeine couldn't keep them up. Stefan and his brother Damon went out for another coffee run. Caroline was barely awake, and still a little tipsy from The Splash. Elena was sitting next to Caroline, texting somebody. Probably her mother, who was Mr. Pierce's sister-in-law. Rebekah was sitting next to Bonnie and Katherine. Katherine had been alternating between sleeping in Bonnie and Rebekah's arms, and Bonnie's shift was almost up.

Bonnie looked down at her friend who was snoring in her arms. Katherine's eyebrows were furrowed, even in her sleep.

It was easy to tell that Katherine was worried about her father. She didn't like to show her emotions, she kept a facade of cool and nonchalance, but Bonnie could tell that she was scared.

Mark Pierce was a workaholic. He was rarely free, refused to take care of himself, and was always on a work call, but anyone who knew him knew that he cared. He cared very much about Katherine (and by extension, Rebekah and Bonnie). Katherine's mother, Sarah Sommers, had died a couple years ago. Her car flipped off of Wickery Bridge. After that, Katherine and her father depended on each other a lot more. It was like they had their own secret language.

"Hey, Bonnie, um, can we talk?" Elena's voice interrupted Bonnie's musings.

Bonnie looked down at Katherine's sleeping figure. She didn't want to wake her but she also didn't want to impose on Rebekah's resting time.

"You go talk. I got her." Rebekah mumbled. She carefully took Bonnie's seat and laid Katherine's head in her lap, smiling tiredly at the brunette in her arms.

"What's up, Elena?" Bonnie asked when they turned the corner to a more private setting.

"I was a jerk." Elena said.

"Huh?"

"At The Splash. You were talking to Stefan and I interrupted. I didn't even acknowledge you." Elena explained. "That was a jerk move. I'm sorry."

To be honest Bonnie hadn't really thought about how Elena was acting back at The Last Splash. She had bigger fish to fry since then.

"It's okay, Lena. It's no biggie." Bonnie replied. She started to turn away, but her friend caught her arm.