Chapter Four: Love Spell

MOSQUITO

Mosquito was proud of herself. She hadn't used her magic in two weeks. Her relationship with Caiman had significantly improved, and they were the closest sibs in their troop again. The others seemed mildly curious about what had been going on with the two of them, but Moss had been the only one that seemed genuinely interested.

"I'm glad you and Caiman seem to be getting along better again." Moss said to Mosquito.

"Me too."

"He said something pretty crazy to us before. Last month, after you guys came back from patrol." Moss said. "I was really worried about him."

"I know what he said, he told me about it. Don't worry, we cleared it up, and I think he's doing a lot better now, like, mentally. I think between the war and everything he just freaked."

Moss nodded. "Good." She said.

"I'm starving. I'm going to go hunt." Mosquito changed the subject quickly. She could only talk about mushy stuff for about five minutes before getting totally grossed out.

"Alright." Moss said. "I might join you later."

Mosquito nodded and flew off.

Mosquito landed in the forest, and froze when she saw a SeaWing close by. She hid behind a tree and watched him, in case there were more. She was trying to be smarter about fighting lots of dragons at once, since she had stopped using her magic.

The SeaWing was stocky and muscular, and quite tall. He had a long, handsome face. He was covered in gleaming dark blue scales, with greyish blue under scales, and his glowscales were unusually vibrant. He looked a little older than Mosquito, but only by a year or two. Mosquito was immediately intrigued by the dragon, and followed him through the forest instead of confronting him.

A strange thought shot through Mosquito's mind. Everyone at home thinks I'm a freak, but maybe if there was someone who wasn't from home... Maybe we could be friends. If I let him know that I'm not here to fight... but... he is on the other side after all. Though, he's not my enemy yet. Right?

The SeaWing didn't seem to be here to attack anyone, rather he looked like he was searching for something. He walked through the forest, and eventually came across the SeaWing Caiman had killed weeks ago. She still lay in that peaceful position, like she was sleeping, but she now had a bloated look to her like she had started to rot inside her scales. Mosquito looked and saw the SandWing she had killed nearby and felt slightly embarrassed, as though she had left her room in a mess when a guest was visiting.

The male SeaWing barely noticed the SandWing, and instead collapsed at the side of the SeaWing cadaver and began to sob violently.

Mosquito watched him with interest. It must have been someone he cared about. I wish I was someone he cared about. Mosquito thought with a pang of jealousy. Someone he would cry over.

Mosquito watched the SeaWing cradle the corpse in his arms and begin to fly away with her, lopsidedly. Mosquito flew after him, though stayed near the treetops so her dark scales wouldn't stand out against the daytime sky. After flying for a while they reached the nearby shore that was the border between the Mud Kingdom and the Kingdom of the Sea.

Mosquito watched from the treeline as the SeaWing walked onto the beach and layed the corpse down in the water. It seemed to Mosquito that it was some kind of SeaWing thing, that a SeaWing must be returned to the ocean once they have died.

The ocean waves crashed, white seafoam bubbling against the wet sand that the SeaWing stood in. It was like a scene from a play, when the heroine loses her lover, and all of nature reflects her sorrow. Mosquito felt a small stab of pity for the SeaWing. He looks so remorseful. She thought.