Chapter twenty one: Mind Loss

Tide opened his eyes.

No, not Tide, not anymore. Seafoam now. Now he was Seafoam. First Tide, then Humus, then Seafoam.

I have to remember what Mosquito told me. My name is Seafoam. I am a 6 year old dragonet from the kingdom of the sea. I grew up with a sheltered life in the palace, as the son of a noble.

Seafoam, Seafoam, Seafoam.

He had to remember. He had to. For her, for Mosquito. She was the best, the most wonderful, beautiful, most perfect dragon in the entire world. As soon as he met her, he never felt angry or said ever again, Unless I'm pretending. Mosquito says I have to pretend sometimes. It's hard to know when to do it though. I wish she was always around to tell me what to do.

He rolled out of bed, looking down at his slender frame, and his bright turquoise scales. He felt an odd feeling, like he had when he first started living as Humus. Eventually he had gotten used to being Humus, but Seafoam was new. It felt strange being in his scales. Tingly.

Humus was different from Tide, but still strong and intimidating, with piercing bright blue eyes. But Seafoam was different, so different. Small, bright scales, dark eyes. Strange and tingly.

But never bad. Everything always felt fine. Tide never felt bad, ever. All he did was love Mosquito. Think about Mosquito. Right, I can't call her

Mosquito in public anymore. She told me to call her Gnat, so her identity is secret. Her identity must always stay secret. I have to protect my love.

It was early morning, and his clawmate Dust was still asleep. Palemoon, on the other hand, was missing. Missing, and he seemed friends with Caiman. Caiman is no good, Mosquito tells me to hate him. He betrayed her, my love, my everything. He felt a deep aching in his chest to find her and be with her. I can't live without her. I love her like I can't live without her. The thought circled in Tide's head over and over, but he stopped himself before running out the door and finding Mosquito.

She said I can't be with her all the time here. Too suspicious, too suspicious. He reminded himself, But she has to know! She has to know! She has to know about Caiman! She has to know about the funny words the white dragon spoke in his sleep! I need to protect her, my love, Mosquito. I need to, I need to, I need to!

He picked up the scroll he had written on in the night, and trudged out the door. I must remember this new character is grumpy, this Seafoam. Mosquito told me. She knows everything, so intelligent, and beautiful. Her red eyes gleaming like polished rubies, her strong muscular frame. She is effortless and flawless. So I must keep a grumpy face while I walk through the hallways, and talk grumpy, so no one will suspect that I cannot feel anger or sadness. Lots of dragons here are angry and sad, I've noticed. I feel nothing most of the time. Absolute emptiness. But I love Mosquito, I love her, that is all I feel. But I should be able to feel happy, if I can't feel sad or angry. I wonder why, I wonder why, I wonder why. I'm not upset. I love Mosquito.

Where is Mosquito? Right, she is Gnat now. I will find where Gnat is staying. Mosquito told me, I must remember. Everything Mosquito says is important, she is the most wonderful dragon. Smart, strong, brave. She sees what she wants and takes it. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful Mosquito.

Tide wove through the hallways in his new body, until he found where Mosquito had told him to look for her. He peeked in, seeing Mosquito's new enchanted body. Different, similar but different, different faces and very strange. But still Mosquito on the inside, I will always love Mosquito. Love her like I can't live without her. I can't live without her. Can't live without her.