Height...

You miss Asahi.

'Asahi...' You thought slowly, letting each syllable drag a little longer than intended.

Daichi's probably buying the team meat buns tonight after practice.

Suga must be worried about you..

If Suga's worried, you wonder if everyone else is..?

You wonder if...

Your eyes tear up, feeling that lump lodge in your throat again as your thoughts turn against you. You pull aggressively on your blanket, tugging it up and over your head as you whine.

××××

"Damn.., again?" Tanaka asked aimlessly, looking around the gym to find no you, yet again.

"This is kinda getting on my nerves- but in a Suga kinda way?? Like, I feel irritated, but I'm not irritated..." Noya pondered for a moment, "I don't think I'm irritated..?"

"Noya, I think the word you're looking for is-"

"He's still not back? This kid is really starting to worry me..." Suga interrupted, jogging into the building and glancing through the room to find no sign of you.

"Worried! Jeez.. Thanks, Suga!" The Libero said in relief.

"What's going on?" Kinnoshita asked, stepping through the door with Narita and Ennoshita in tow.

"(Y/n)'s still not back and we're all concerned about what could've happened." Daichi explained, sighing quietly at the situation.

"How long as it been now?"

"A little under a month and a half, I believe..." Asahi trailed off. "You guys don't think something bad might've happened, do you?"

"Hard to say, honestly." The team didn't get the chance to dwell on it before Coach Ukai showed up - followed by the four first years.

"Alright boys, let's get goin'-"

"WAIT! You can't start! (Y/n)'s not here yet!" Hinata exclaimed, earning a smack from Kageyama.

"What are you, a dumbass!? He's not coming, moron! He hasn't been here in weeks, so we're starting without him."

Those words stung everyone in the gym; even Tsukishima and Ukai felt it pang through their chests.

The carrot-top seemed to deflate, grumbling something about "stupid Kageyama" this, and "stupid (Y/n)" that; Ukai sighed deeply, turning to the small Middle Blocker with a lopsided sympathetic smile on his lips.

"Tell ya what, short-stack," he began, pulling the boy's attention. "we'll wait a little longer before we start start, okay? That should give (L/n) enough time to get here-"

"Sure, he's probably just "late" again." Scoffed Tsukishima, turning away from the scene with a sour expression.

"Hey, you know better than to talk about your upperclassmen like that!" Noya defended. Tanaka followed...

"Yeah, Saltyshima!"

Those two... Knuckleheads, you'd always call them. But, truth be told, you admired them for always sticking up for you - "protecting you from the meanie-jerk-faces" always felt like their favorite pastime to you. Of course, it wasn't like you were hurt by all the rude comments and snide remarks you'd get day-to-day; you were just... too annoyed to deal with them.

Letting them all fall off your shoulder, roll down your back. That's what you always thought of yourself, anyway.

"Guys! Coach is still talking!" Suga wrangled, earning apologies from Tanaka and Noya, but Tsukishima only clicked his tongue, though returned to paying attention despite.