Chapter 35: Happy Birthday

Start from the beginning

Aurora placed her hand before her mouth, giggling at my mannerisms. "No, thank you."

"Darn."

She paused for a moment looking off into the field. "Are you still having problems, summoning the magical energy to make your own light arrows?"

"Oh, I have plenty of energy, so much that I tend to hit more than just the target," I responded bitterly. This lack of control was a sore subject for me. It also tended to destroy any bow I was using, much to our bowyer's frustration. "Wanna go take a walk?" I asked, smiling widely. "We could use the secret tunnel! Maybe sneak into town?"

"No, I'm afraid I have other engagements," Aurora said primly.

"Oh, okay, I see. No time for your dear younger sister," I joked. "I can take the hint!"

Aurora stared at me for a moment, hesitant to speak her next thought. I could sense her trepidation. Sometimes pretending not to know what people were feeling was the hardest part of my life.

"Speaking of engagements," she began, glancing up toward the sky.

"No, we're not," I bit back, knowing exactly what she wanted to speak of.

"Alpheus and I were talking and-"

"And you decided you are both madly in love and want to run off together? As your sister, I will not stand in the way of your true love."

"Taya."

"Please don't worry about me," I sighed dramatically. "I'll find a way to move on."

Aurora's face fell into a scowl as she looked at me. "No Taya, honestly. Please be serious."

"Perhaps I was," I muttered, turning to fetch my fallen arrows. Usually, we had a servant on hand to pick up any wayward arrows, but I liked the exercise. I didn't get far before my sister caught up with me, not wanting to end our conversation where we left it.

"You can't put off this marriage forever," she said bluntly.

"Watch me," I snapped, grabbing at my arrows angrily.

"Is this about that boy?"

I stopped mid-grab, surprised by her insight. My stomach dropped at the thought of him. It had already been several years but his last words to me still echoed in my heart. I snatched up an arrow and kept moving. When I didn't respond to my sister she pressed on, unrelenting in her advice.

"In a few short years, you will be fifty and an adult by our laws."

"Happy Birthday to me," I whispered.

Aurora reached out, grabbing my arm to stop me from avoiding her. "You will be fifty and father will see you wed."

I looked up at her, scowling slightly. "Your point, dear sister?"

She stopped, her face falling as she looked at me. I was alarmed by the fear and sorrow I felt rolling off of her. Even with those feelings she still smiled, a loving expression that mirrored our mothers was now etched into her beautiful features. I felt bad for snapping at her and opened my mouth to apologize when a voice called to us from across the field.

"Hail, beloved daughters!"

We turned to see our father, the King, standing at the edge of the field, Captain Enki at his side. Aurora released my arms, waving as she began walking back over to the other side of the field. I followed, sticking my collection of arrows under my arm.