Lian's eyes widened. No one ever treated him so coldly. His lip quivered before he burst into tears. All conversations stopped. Shilian and the nursemaid hurried over to Shaugn and glared at him.

"Put him down, duju."

Shaugn turned his cold gaze to her but kept the child in the air. "That is empress to you. If you won't raise your child up proper, don't blame me for taking the initiative to correct his behavior."

Her face flushed in anger. "What does that mean?"

"What I just said." He looked at her like 'and what?'

Shilian felt like she was going to die of anger. Never had Shaugn spoken to her like that. She was constantly being demeaned by him lately. "You-you-"

"Are you disrespecting my empress?" Xoan and the others walked over.

She stepped back and bowed. "Your majesty."

Everyone saluted and knelt. Shaugn still had hold of the child's shirt so he could only nod. Xoan walked closer and sat on one of the couches with his arms spread along the back. He eyed his consorts and children. No one spoke under the oppressive gaze.

"It appears not only do the children need to be retrained, so too do their mothers," Xoan mused to Nirik who had come in after.

Nirik looked at his nieces and nephews in disdain. "Seems so."

Knowing it meant having their children taken away and losing their status in the harem, the mothers hurried to grovel.

"Apologies, your highness."

"Mercy, your highness."

"The consort and children are wrong."

Xoan ignored their noise. "From tomorrow on, anyone committing offenses or violating the house rules will be punished however the empress sees fit."

Several of the children wailed, "Father, no!"

While the consorts cried out, "Your majesty!"

"Please reconsider, your highness."

Lian clasped his hands together and touched his forehead. "Mother empress, I was wrong."

Shaugn put him down and opened his fan. His eyes swept over the children then their mothers. Daga nudged his hand so Shaugn stroked the top of his head without taking his eyes off them. It gave him a dangerous and opposing aura which made a few people shiver.

Satisfied with this result, Shaugn sat beside Xoan and slowly fanned himself. "Let this be a warning. From this moment on, any violation of the rules will result in severe punishment. There will be no lawlessness while the emperor is gone."

"Thank you, your majesty."

"The empress is merciful."

A servant came to report dinner was almost ready to be served. Xoan looked at all of his consorts and children. "Rise." As they all stood and looked at him, he said a few more words.

"I hope that you will all behave while I'm gone. There is no reason to forget your place and upbringing. Your behavior is a reflection of your natal family as well as this emperor. Anyone that embarrasses me,"

His cold glaze made them shiver and drop their gazes.

"-will face my wrath."

There was silence. Shaugn hid his smile behind his fan. They were all acting meek and obedient in Xoan's presence but he could already tell these consorts had some tricks up their sleeves. As the silence dragged on, Shaugn cleared his throat and touched Xoan's arm. "Darling emperor, shall we take the children inside and get them seated?"

"As the empress wishes," Xoan nodded in agreement.

The nursemaids started forward. Shaugn held up his hand. These children had been spoiled their entire lives and were rotten to the core. "Stand aside. They are old enough to walk and sit on a chair." He walked over to the children. "Stand one behind the other and walk into the dining room to your chairs."

The children's eyes widened and they glanced at their mothers. The mothers were glaring at Shaugn. He merely raised a questioning brow and smirked. 'Dare disobey in front of the emperor?'

Shilian, the most problematic, nodded her head and spoke through clenched teeth. "Behave for the empress."

The children looked at each other then got in a line from oldest to youngest before proceeding into the dining room. Shaugn turned to Xoan and bowed.

"I will get the children situated, your highness. Please spend some time with your consorts while you wait."

A few of the consorts' eyes lit up. Many smiled showing their teeth. Those who hadn't spent any time with the emperor saw this as a gift from the empress despite his earlier treatment. It was a strategic move on Shaugn's part. He could see which consorts coveted the emperor the most.

Xoan gave him a death glare before forcing a smile. "The empress is too kind."

Several consorts rushed to thank him. "Thanks to the empress."

Shaugn chuckled. "Anything for his majesty."

*Shaugn is quite crafty. This lunch is already off to him settin' folk straight.

**Hope everyone is good out there. 😊 It took a while to get out but if you follow me on wattpad or instagram you've seen my post about my hands. I have a damaged ligament in my right hand and hyperextension in three fingers so I'm in all kinds of splints which makes typing slower. I'll get chapters out when I get them finished.