3x09-Six Days pt.1

Start from the beginning

"You can tell me, you know. Promise I won't judge."

The youngest chuckled, hooking her elbow through her person's, "Nothing to talk about just yet Mer. But I promise, the minute I need a sounding-board, you'll be the first person I call." 

The older woman nodded, a small smile on her face, as they caught up with the rest of their group, huddled in front of Harold O'Malley's room.

Entering, they were greeted with what could only be described as party, with members of the family occupying every corner of the room.

Charlie chuckled slightly at the sight, as Richard announced, "Quiet down." When the clan complied, he politely continued, "Good morning. Who's presenting?"

"Yeah George!" They all screamed excitedly.

The boy nodded, chuckling when Charlie elbowed him  softly, before beginning to present his father's case, "Harold O'Malley 63. Status-post aortic valve replacement. Morning chest x-rays showed no atelectasis after aggressive CPT for the last two days. Scheduled for a transhiatal esohphagectomy tomorrow at 9." When the entire family continued staring at him,  clearly not understanding he was done, he sighed, "That's it."

A round of applause cheered him on, and he smiled, stepping back into place beside the youngest blonde.

"For the next few minutes I think it would be best if the extended family wait in the waiting room." Advised Bailey, gesturing around the room.

Harold smiled, before turning to his group and requesting, "Just a few minutes guys and then you can come back."

The space steadily emptied, and the resident looked at the man kindly, "How are you feeling Mr. O'Malley?"

"He's feeling great," answered Louise O'Malley excitedly,  " 'Better than ever' he says. Which is why we had everyone come out today. We figured that after today he maybe won't be feeling OK for a while."

"After the surgery, then do we start chemo and stuff?" Added the man.

Richard nodded, "That protocol depends on what we find when we open you up Harold."

"What do you mean, what you find?"

Bailey turned to her group, calling, "Hawthorne."

The girl stepped up, smiling kindly at the couple she really liked, before explaining softly, "Well Mr O'Malley, there's only so much we can find through labs and scans. Oftentimes, a look inside needs to be taken in order to ascertain exactly how far the cancer has, or hasn't spread."

"And if the cancer has spread, that changes how much chemo he needs?" Questioned Louise softly.

"That changes a lot of things."

"Like what?"

Richard smiled politely, replying, "I'll let the oncologist explain that later today Harold. Dr. Grey will be taking you through a final battery of pre-operative tests before we go."

Opening the door for her group, minus Mer, Bailey added helpfully, "So it would be best if the party went home."

v^√√v^─√v^√v^─

She'd been informed that Derek had requested her on his service, and was now looking for him.

Sighing, she mumbled to herself, "Shepherd, where the hell are you?"

"Right behind you, actually," he replied, chuckling when she jumped from fright and. surprise.

Smacking repeatedly on the arm, she exclaimed, "Stop fucking doing that to me! Next time, my training will kick in, and then I'll need to drag one of you idiots to the ER."