1x01 - A Hard Day's Night

Charlie took deep breath as she walked through Seattle-Grace's doors, joining the amalgamation of fellow interns waiting there

Charlie took deep breath as she walked through Seattle-Grace's doors, joining the amalgamation of fellow interns waiting there. This was it, the beginning of her new life, the road to surgery spread open before her eyes.

Taking an open spot beneath the stairway, she watched as the Chief of Surgery, one Dr. Richard Webber, began speaking, "Each of you comes here hopeful. Wanting in on the game. A month ago you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point."

Chuckling under her breath at the dramatic speech, she complied when he continued, impassioned, "Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That's up to you."

There were a lot of interns present, but she supposed this was the price to pay, for deciding to join the US' leading teaching program. As she began following the mass, a voice called out, "Dr. Hawthorne? A minute please."

Inhaling deeply, she gave her fellow interns a tense smile, before turning swiftly on her heels and heading towards the chief, following him into his enclosed office.

Rolling her eyes, she commented, "rather dramatic, wouldn't you think?"

The man shrugged playfully, "What? I like to make an impression."

"Yes, because being our boss isn't intimidating enough, I suppose." She snarked back, before a small, real smile spread on her features. "It's good to see you, Richard." She said.

Richard Webber had been a family friend, one she'd known for her entire life. In fact, she had distinct memories of sitting on his lap, asking him surgical questions at the tender age of 7.

What could she say, she'd known what she's wanted her entire life, and a genius-level intellect definitely helped.

Speaking of, she chuckled when his arms wrapped around her tightly, as he whispered, "Happy to have you here Lodie. They would have been proud."

Nodding into his shoulder, she pulled away, swallowing the deep sadness down, before smiling, "Adele's still on vacation I take it?"

"How'd you know?"

"She would not have allowed you to welcome me to Seattle alone. You are an awful host." She joked back, tilting her head, a honey-blonde curl falling off her shoulder in the process.

"Yes, well I doubt you'd want me to cook for you. You'd have to come back here as a patient."

Giggling lightly, she nodded, "Yes, I do remember the Pie incident of '99. And not to worry, I am quite capable of feeding myself."

He stepped back behind his desk, before narrowing his eyes at her, growing somewhat serious, "I know you'd rather I butt out completely, but I did manage to get on you Miranda Bailey's list. She's the best resident we have, and I have a sneaking suspicion you two will get along famously."