19

Aragorn and the army of the dead in the video up top

They stopped their horses and the king surveyed the army as they made camp.
-Grimbold, how many?
-I bring five hundred men from the Westfold, my Lord. We have three hundred more from Fenmarch.
-Where are the riders from Snowbourn?
-None have come, my Lord.
-Eight thousand spears. Less than half of what I'd hoped for.
-Eight thousand will not be enough to break the lines of Mordor.
-More will come.
-Every hour lost hastens Gondor's defeat. We have till dawn. Then we must ride.

-The horses are restless, and the men are quiet- Legolas said as the horses reared and whined.
-It is the mountain- they turned to Maria who spoke -it feels dark.
-That road there, where does that lead?- Gimli pointed to a path through the mountains that led further inside.
-It is the road to the Dimholt; the door under the the mountain.
-None who venture there ever return. That mountain is evil- Éomer said.

Nat saw the look Aragorn had directed to the path and she does too, she sees nothing but his face says otherwise.

At night Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn attempt to leave with their horses down the path through the mountain only to be stopped by Maria and Natasha

-Oh hell no- Maria put a hand against Legolas' chest trying not to relish in the fact that she could feel his muscles beneath his shirt -just where do you think you are going?
-You can't stop us lassies.
-Try us- Nat glared at the three.

-Maria, Natasha- they looked at Aragorn who now held a sad expression -he is right. This is something I must do. But I will not ask you to join me- he interrupts before they get a chance to volunteer -Rohan's army needs you now. They trust you both after Helms Deep. So I ask you as your friend to stay. Do not follow us.
-What do you think we should do Lady Natasha?- Maria said still standing in Legolas' way.
-I believe the old man just asked us for a favour my dear lady- Natasha mocked. They then smiled and nodded at Aragorn who relaxed after their approval.

Maria looked up at Legolas while Natasha said goodbye to Gimli.
-You'll keep him safe won't you?- she pressed her hand to his horse's neck.

Legolas smiled down at her and reached one hand out to brush a stray hair behind her ear and then taking her hand and kissing the back of it.

-Of course, my Lady- he smiled at her making her heart do backflips. She makes a decision and pulls him down softly to kiss his cheek before she becomes too much of a coward to do so. Luckily for her the others hadn't noticed and she said her goodbyes to the other two leaving the dumbfounded elf to touch his cheek with his hand and allow a smile to grace his features.

With one last wave of a hand, the trio bid farewell to them and entered the mountain, moments later being engulfed by the dark fog.

-He leaves because there is no hope- they hear one man complain.
-He leaves because he must- the king states to ease their minds.
-Too few have come. We cannot defeat the armies of Mordor.
-No, we cannot. But we will meet them in battle nonetheless.
-Yes we will your Highness- Théoden king turns to look at the two ladies in amusement. They had saved many of his mens' lives and he was secretly glad they had not left with Isildur's heir into the mountain to try and court death.

Morning falls on Dunharrow as the Rohirrim prepare to depart. Éomer rides on his uncle's left side on his own horse while Natasha moves her mare forward to place herself at the king's nephew's side. Maria sits on Sleipnir at the king's other side far from the horses since the animals and some of their riders got jumpy around the warg.

-We must ride light and swift. It's a long road ahead. The men and beast must reach the end with a strength to fight- Théoden looks down on Merry and his pony as he tries to sneak along -Little hobbits do not belong in war, Master Meriadoc.
-All my friends have gone to battle. I will be ashamed to be left behind!- Natasha smiled at his bravery, but it would not be enough to convince the king.
-It is a three day gallop to Minas Tirith and none of my riders can bear you as a burden.
-I want to fight!
-I will say no more.

Théoden leads them away, leaving a disappointed Merry to stand and watch riders stream past him but not before Nat sees a familiar looking rider snatch  Merry up onto his horse. The rider was Éowyn, disguised as a male Rohirrim though Nat distinguished her golden locks immediately but ignored it.
-Form up! Move out!
-Ride! Ride now for Gondor!
The column of riders flows out of the encampment.

The Rohirrim stopped by a lake, Maria still besides the Théoden when Éomer rides in to report to the king.

-The scouts report Minas Tirith is surrounded. The lower level's in flames. Everywhere legions of the enemy advance.
-Time is against us.
-My Lord if I may- Maria makes both men turn to her -I might be able to find a shorter way though I ask that you allow me to use my magic for it.

Théoden pauses to think for a second but agrees and he, Éomer and the other riders watch as the lady presses her hands to the floor making the earth. Move around her palms like water. In just a few seconds she stands back up.
-Did you find another way?- he asks. Maria nods and they mount again.

-Prepare to move out!
-Make haste! We ride through the night.
The king allows her to ride in front, leading the way across a canyon formed by the burning of forests the orcs had caused. This saved them a day of riding as they soon arrived at a hill from which they could survey the battle outside the White City of Gondor. Maria slows Sleipnir down to let the king pass in front but she tries not to get too far from him.

Gothmog and the orcs turn towards the sound of the horns as the Riders of Rohan appear across the fields. The army of Rohan stops to face the rear of the orc army and the men of Gondor see them clearly, Gandalf and Pippin identifying the clear figures of two women on both horse and warg besides the king.

Théoden rides along the front lines of the Rohirrim in a short gallop shouting orders.
-Éomer! Take your eored down the left side.
-Yes, my lord- he goes to the left.
.Gamling, follow the King's banner down the center. Grimbold, take your company right, after you pass the wall. Forth, and fear no darkness!- he turns to Maria and Natasha and speaks lowly -you two stay where you must.
-Arise! Arise! Riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword-day! A red day, ere the sun rises!

Théoden rides up and down the lines, rattling his sword along the row of spears.
-Ride now, ride now, ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending! Death!
-Death!- the riders and the two ladies shout, Sleipnir barking.
-Forð Eorlingas!
Rohirrim horns sound the charge and they begin to move out, Maria riding alongside the king as she raises her hands up above her head.