14

Aragorn arrives at Helms Deep

Natasha rode her horse with Maria's in tow, an empty saddle was on the second animal. A sad look covered Legolas' eyes as well as the others', thinking something had happened. A warg howl made Aragorn and the men around him pull out their swords as Théoden made his way forward to them, sword also unsheathed.

A warg was standing not too far from Natasha on the rocks and they started to go to her aid but she shook her head.
-Maria- she called up to her friend hiding on the warg -don't scare them would you. They look just about ready to faint- Maria?
The slender figure of their other friend stood straight on the beast's back letting them all see her.

-It's not Sleipnir's fault he's so big and the men are too impulsive for their own good- she scratched the wolf under his neck making him throw his head back while panting happily.
-How on Middle Earth...? What...?- Aragorn stood forward, lowering his sword, as did her other friends and the king, the ranger stammering in disbelief.

-He's a truly sweet soul. It was quite easy to make him surrender to me- she gave the men a dark look that sent shivers down their spines as the warg jumped down from the rocks and got near Natasha's horse giving the other woman a lick in the face.
-Ugh!- she wiped the slobber out trying to calm down her horse -Sleipnir.

Maria patted the warg once more and slid down from his back, nearing her friends. Aragorn was quick to give her a big hug, relieved and impressed and then also hugging Natasha.

She patted Gimli's shoulder and smiled at him while Legolas welcomed Natasha back. She then turned to the elf and hugged him tightly as well. His hug felt different from the man's. Legolas's hug was short but warmer and she caught a whiff of pine and mint as she buried her nose in his hair. She let go so Nat didn't make too big a deal about it and was glad when she noticed her friend talking to Gimli rather animatedly.

After being informed of everything and making sure Sleipnir would be fine, the girls followed Théoden and Aragorn as they led them forth. People were scurrying around Helm's Deep looking to suit themselves with armour and weapons.

-We'll place the reserves along the wall. They can support the archers from above the gate.
-Aragorn, you must rest. You're no use to us half-alive- Nat agreed with the blond princess elf, he had just gotten back from a cliff fall and even she though it a miracle he was not dead.
-Aragorn! I'm to be sent with the women into the caves- Eowyn walks over to them angrily, and rightfully so.
-That is an honorable charge- Natasha felt her eyes roll way back. God this man really didn't know his women.
-To mind the children, to find food and bedding when the men return. What renown is there in that?
-My lady, a time may come for valor without renown. Who then will your people look to in the last defense?

Nat and Maria helped Gimli find his axe among the many weapons lying on the floor as Aragorn and Legolas spoke in low tones.
-Then I shall die as one them!- the ranger's sudden outburst made the rest of the people around them freeze and quiet down.
Aragorn and Legolas stare at each other, and Aragorn walks away from the elf. Legolas tries to run after him, but is stopped by Gimli.

-Let him go, lad. Let him be- as the dwarf and Natasha retake the task of finding his weapon, Maria turns to Legolas and rests a comforting hand on his shoulder. He turns to look at her and takes a hold of her hand, pulling it to his lips and kissing her fingers gently. She let him hold her hand a while longer, knowing he needed some support right now.