7

They look across a wide space to a long bridge spanning the gap between a hall and a cliff face. Away behind them, the Balrog roars again and Maria finally receives the energy from it's magic head on making her stumble.

Legolas grabs the girl and frown when he notices her eyes were a different color from their usual one. Before he could get a closer look, the lady named Natasha pulled her friend form his grasp and whispered something into her ear helping her stand up straight again.
-Swords are no more use here!- he hears the wizard warn Aragorn. The Balrog roars again as the Fellowship descend a flight of massive stairs and encounters a gap in the stairs. He leaps and lands on the other side.

The rest of the company follow Legolas across as arrows from the orcs that had stationed themselves at the sides of the walls shoot at them.

The two men help Sam, Pippin and Merry across and Nat jumps before the dwarf with help from Boromir as Gimli leaps after denying the ranger's help and would've nearly fallen back into the chasm if Legolas hadn't grabbed his beard and pulled him up.
-Not the beard!

Legolas waits for Maria to jump, ready to help her, but she jumps with the skill of a ballerina and easily crosses the distance. A huge rock falls from the ceiling and smashes through the steps behind Aragorn and Frodo, creating another gap behind them.
-Hang on! Lean forward!- Aragorn told Frodo.
-Over the bridge! Fly!- Gandalf shouts.
The Fellowship flees and yet Gandalf does not follow, but turns, looking into the wall of fire, a great form of black shadow leaps through the flames, its eyes of white fire, great ash-black horns curling around a bull-like head.

Maria is reminded of the story Thor had told her once upon a time about Surtur, a fire giant that had destroyed Asgard in a fight with Thor's older sister Hela. He had even shown her images of him and he was looked very similar to the monster before them.

It opened its maw, rippling heat pouring out with a rumble as Gandalf turned, running after the Fellowship

It opened its maw, rippling heat pouring out with a rumble as Gandalf turned, running after the Fellowship. A great, black, cloven foot stomps down into the hall, bursting into flame and a narrow bridge of stone appears in the fiery light, and the Fellowship crosses the bridge while Gandalf turns to face the Balrog.

-You cannot pass!- he wields his staff and suddenly everything sounds muffled in Maria's ears. She barely hears the company shout to Gandalf as her breathing quickens and she feels her eyes go black.

Gandalf is shocked when the Balrog ignores him and instead turns his attention to something behind him, his roars dampening to low growls. He turns and sees Maria standing there as if paralysed and the other lady Natasha trying to pull her out of whatever trance she was in.

-I am the servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor...- he pulls the demon's attention back to him -The dark fire will not avail you! Flame of Udûn!
The Balrog strikes down on Gandalf, who parries the blow with his blade, shattering the Balrog's own sword. Glowing embers run off the circle of light around the wizard as monster bellows at the wizard makingFrodo gasp. Aragorn run forward -Go back to the Shadow!- The Balrog steps onto the bridge. It brandishes a flaming whip -You - shall not - pass!- the wizard shouts, driving his staff into the bridge, causing a bright flash of blue light to appear. Flaring its nostrils, the Balrog steps forward onto the bridge and it collapses from under it as it moves towards Gandalf, and breaks before the wizard's staff. The demon plunges backward into the chasm, still wielding its glowing whip.