Don't Tempt Me

I'm not sure what changes my mind, but I find myself pulling up to Rafe Cameron's mansion at the same time he told me he'd be having a party. Maybe it's because of the other night when he gave me a ride home, or because I'm bored with nothing else to do. I've been trying to figure it out the entire ride over. It's not like I can say I was in the neighborhood-- why would a pogue be in Figure 8? I didn't tell anyone where I am. I sit in my car in the driveway for a couple of minutes, just staring at Rafe's house.

His white mansion stares back at me. It's about three times wider and taller than my house and probably has ten more rooms. A house like this should be in a fancy, rich-people home magazine where it looks like no one actually lives there. Lights illuminate the front door, showing off intricate detailing on the windows. On the second story, a balcony over looks the front street where a wall blocks out the public from their perfectly green front yard.

I knock on Rafe's front door. My heart pounds against my ribcage as I wait there for someone to answer it. It feels so foreign and wrong to be here. I haven't told Ava, Deirdre, or JJ about this. I'm starting to think maybe I should at least tell Ava and Deirdre. But then if I do, it means that this thing-- these continuous "run-ins" with Rafe are... well, something. And they're not. I'm just bored tonight.

The red door swings open. Rafe stands there in a plaid shirt. He lights up when he sees me. "Hey! I knew you couldn't resist. I thought my invitation sounded 'not tempting.'"

I glare at him as I step inside. "I'm only here for the drinks."

"Well, there's a lot of those," Rafe says, placing a hand on the small of my back. I flinch under his touch, but he doesn't seem to notice as he guides me into the kitchen. "So, you decided to come anyway?" He shoots me a smug smirk.

Annoyed, I say, "I just got off of work."

I don't think Rafe believes me, but whatever.

"Where the hell is everyone?" I ask. I look around to see if there is anybody else here, but only Topper and Kelce stand at the island in the kitchen. They frown and go rigid when they lay eyes on me.

"There are a few other people here," Rafe says.

Something doesn't feel right. "Wait. Are you actually having a party?"

Rafe puts a hand on my arm. "Okay, it's not a huge party, but there are drinks and Top even brought some high quality coke. It'll be fun, I promise." He nods towards his friends and starts toward them.

I jut my jaw out in annoyance. He made me think it was going to be huge. He said a party. He lives in a mansion! Now I'm here with all kooks who hate me. What am I supposed to talk to them about? At the Country Club, all Rafe's friends do are give me dirty looks and leave messes for me to clean on their tables.

Topper hides a smile behind his red solo cup. "So, Y/N, how was work today?" he asks.

I grimace at him. He and Kelce exchange glances at each other as if to say, Look at this stupid pogue thinking she can fit in with kooks. I want to kill Rafe for inviting me and I want to kill myself for thinking it would be okay to come.

"Busy," I answer.

Rafe opens a bottle of beer and hands it to me. I take a couple of gulps right away. If I'm going to make it through this, I'm going to have to be a little buzzed.

"I see you there all the time. How come you never say hi?"

I hate the way he's talking to me, Topper never makes conversation with me. Why should I suddenly be friendly to him? "I say hi to customers I like," I quip.