Chapter 3: He's Truly a Player

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Wait." He called out.

I turned around, "What is it this time?" I expected some ridiculous request or something to try and get rid of me.

"What's your name?" He asked, but wasn't looking at me.

I smiled, "Taylor."

He whispered my name a few times, "See you tomorrow then." He said, as though I was a friend now.

I waved and closed the door.

***

"How is my son?" Mr Peterson asked.

I smiled at him, "Don't worry, sir," I folded my arms, "his first lesson was taught."

"Good." He said, "I want you to do anything to make him a good person again."

I smiled, "You have the right person for it."

He nodded, "You may leave now."

I stood up and when I was about to head back to the doors, I stopped and turned back to him. "There's one thing I want to ask you."

Mr Peterson raised his eyebrows with surprise, "And what might that be?"

"Sorry," I said, "but what happened to his mother, your wife?"

The man sighed, casting a glance over the clear view of the city through the windows. He stood there in silence for a few moments, deciding whether or not he should tell me the truth. Then finally he replied, "She had a car accident."

Thinking, I wondered if it was just a car accident. I lowered my eyes, "Thank you for telling me, sir." I said and closed the door behind me.

I could tell that he was remembering something about his wife; seeing it was something that he had regretted all his life.

Sometimes learning all the lies of telling the truth, made you wonder if it was appropriate to see people's faces anymore. Because the moment I looked at them, I could briefly tell what situation they were in, whether to trust them or not. This was the first rule I was taught in Sinreth Academy.

I walked out of the room. Placing my shades over my eyes and tying my dark brown hair up. I knew that I was a female bodyguard, but I wasn't an easy target.

I came into the office early in the morning and just like last time, everyone was staring at me as though they had never seen a bodyguard before. I reached for my pocket and felt a hard surface in my hand. I took the item out and saw that it was the bracelet that the guy gave me as a proof for his three promises exchanged for this paralysed hand. He was telling the truth when he said that this belonged to his mother then.

For a person like him, I wouldn't expect something like that before. I walked down the hallway and headed for the glass doors. But while I was standing there, I saw him again, wearing a dark pair of jeans and a leathered jacket. Glancing up, I placed the bracelet back in my pocket.

"I knew you were here." He said, showing his bandaged arm.

"Good to see that your arm is still working." I replied.

"Actually," he paused, "it's gotten worst."

"How so?"

He started to laugh, "Kidding!" Still laughing, "I can't believe I got you."

I raised an eyebrow.

He stopped and turned to me, "So where are you heading?"

I smiled, "Who do you think you are?"

He looked at me again, "Aren't you my bodyguard?"

I shook my head. "Just for yesterday," I said. "That's all."

"What?!"

"Man," I started, "you seriously have a problem with the word 'what'," I pointed at his mouth. "Anyways," I smiled, "Got you back. Now we're even."

He grinned, "You're... good." He said nodding, "So you're still my bodyguard?"

I ignored him and continued walking.

He began to follow me, "Hey! Aren't you supposed to follow me? Since I'm the person you need to protect?"

"With everyone else, I do that. But you." I shook my head, "Big no, no."

"Why not?"

"Because you're a different story."

"Different story?" He asked as he walked past some girls. For the first time, he didn't seem to smile at them. That was unusual.

I stopped and looked over by the side of the hotel, noticing a few waiters coming closer to the entrance. But something was odd.

The two men pulled something out behind them and aimed for the glass doors. I glanced worriedly back to him right as a shot was fired.