XLVIII

August 28th, 2021

Hi.

"Shin-chan, are you okay?"

Shinsuke looked up at his siblings; Hishari, Takahiro, and Karu were all looking at him, slightly concerned. "I'm fine."

He, of course, wasn't. Shinsuke was out of his mind with worry for Isuma; Yoshika may have been exaggerating and overly dramatic, but she was right. There were people out there who'd go after her. The Inarizaki volleyball team had made plenty of enemies, and as their captain, Shinsuke had more than the others. He trusted Isuma to handle herself against envious girls, but what about those who were serious?

Atsumu and Osamu had promised to watch their sister, but they weren't the most reliable people in the world. They were definitely protective but sometimes overlooked small possibilities. And Atsumu was supposed to leave in a few days, meaning only Osamu would be able to watch her. 'She'll be fine. She has to be.'

***

"Hey... 'Suma-chan? Can we talk?"

Isuma looked up; she was on the floor of her brothers' room, checking on Osamu's foot. He'd injured it during practice earlier that day. Osamu had been trying not to watch her while Atsumu absently threw his volleyball so it hit the wall and bounded back to him. Osamu was now looking right at her, his expression serious. "Sure...? What's wrong?"

A few days had passed since the incident with Yoshika. Despite her warnings, nothing had happened in the past few days, although Isuma suspected that was because the other second-years had been around her constantly. If she was going somewhere, one of them usually came up with an excuse to tag along. That aside, all four adults had left when they'd arrived home a few hours ago, which none of them had acknowledged, but all three were considerably more optimistic. "Nothing's wrong, just... a lot of things have been happening lately and I... I worry for you."

He did look a little concerned. Isuma and Atsumu exchanged glances. He asked, "Worried about what, 'Samu?"

"A lot of things. 'Suma, ever since..." He hesitated. "Ever since you joined our team you've been going through nothing but trouble. First your headaches- which still haven't stopped, I might add- then that whole thing with your old friend. Then our aunt... and now this? 'Suma, do you see where I'm going with this?"

"But I got through it all, didn't I?" Isuma didn't seem at all fazed. Osamu sighed. "Yes, but... still. What if you can't handle this one? This is more than just one person- it could be dozens. What if..."

He didn't finish his thought and quickly altered the subject. "And also... you've changed a lot. It's a good thing but... part of me wants you to stay the old 'Suma."

Osamu didn't say it, but he thought, 'And so does Kita-san. He doesn't want this any more than we do- in fact, he probably hates it, because unlike us, he'll have to leave you.'

"I'm still the Isuma who needs you." She flashed a reassuring smile. "Promise. Even if the world turns upside down, that won't change."

Atsumu leaned over and messed up his brother's hair. "Weren't you were the one telling me not to sweat it a few months ago?"

Osamu stared at him. That had only been a few months ago? So much had happened since then, it felt like years. "People can change, you know."

"Yeah, well, change back and stop worrying. 'Suma-chan's going to be fine." Atsumu stretched and checked the time. "My train's leaving in an hour. You don't have to go; I'll be fine."

Isuma had almost forgotten that he was leaving tonight. "No, I'll go. 'Samu?"

He shook his head. "I'll stay home. I have something I need to do."