XXIV

February 5th, 2021

Not gonna lie- I forgot that I had to update today. Also my friend wants me to write an alternate angst ending. So... I'm going to write one haha I'm probably just going to send it to her separately but enough people want it then I'll post it on here too LMK

"He's a- how can you tell?!"

"...I don't know. I just can." Kita turned towards Isuma and Suna, who were looking at a sheet of paper together. After a few seconds, Isuma stood up and they walked over to them. Suna said, "His name's Yoshi Takashi and he's a third-year middle blocker."

"He's a setter." Kita and Isuma said together. They looked at each other. "You go first."

"Well..." Isuma looked over at Yoshi, who was still talking with their official setter. "It's just the way he acts. And during warm-ups... the way he moved... it was so precise and calculated. He set more than he spiked or blocked."

"...what she said." Kita looked back at the court. "Akagi's coming. Suna, let them know about the #5."

"Got it. You think he'll set instead of their official setter?" Suna asked. "No... I think BOTH of them are going to be setting." Kita answered grimly. "How will we know which one is setting?" Suna asked."Hold on, I can help," Isuma spoke up. Suna sharply answered, "Isuma, you had a fever less than three hours ago, you need to rest-"

"I can watch him play, just for a few minutes, Rin!" she hastily added, seeing his expression. "I promise I'll be fine! What happened earlier- it wasn't because I was watching the match too intently. I was fine with Yuto before that- tell them, Kosaku!"

All three of them turned to Yuto, who took a step back under their gazes. Suna and Kita seemed to be daring him to suggest that she was okay. "Well... okay, you were fine, but still! Rintaro's right, you need rest right now!"

"I'm not doing anything by just watching the court." Isuma didn't continue. Kita could see that she was fighting back a flood of emotions. "Fine. But if I see that you look even a little sick, you're going to the medical office or something. Okay?"

Isuma immediately nodded. "Fine!"

Suna sighed. "Fine."

He walked over to the bench and picked up the #15 sign; Suna walked to the line and held it up. Akagi ran over to Suna, said a few words to him, and headed towards the others. Isuma hed out a water bottle to him. "No, thanks. I'm good."

"How do you feel?" Isuma asked. Akagi smiled. "Good. More importantly... are you doing okay?"

"Yeah." Kita glanced at her, the concern evident in his eyes. As Isuma turned towards Yuto, Akagi lowered his voice and asked, "Is she really fine?"

"...she wants to watch their #5," Kita answered. "And you're not stopping her?! She might come down with another headache or a fever-"

"It's like you said yesterday- if I don't, and we lose, she'll blame herself."

"Shinsuke, we've been to Nationals every Inter-High for the past several years. Are you really seriously worried we'll lose because of a single setter?" Akagi asked. Kita's eyes flicked over to him. "I know that, but Isuma doesn't. I can't just tell her not to worry, because then she'll think we're overconfident. She needs to see our team's strength for herself- telling her won't suffice."

"Still... what if she gets another headache?" Akagi glanced at Isuma briefly. "She's going to the medical office here; I already told her."

"...fine. Let's hope this works out alright."