XXXIV

April 16th, 2021

Currently stressing out about ACT Aspire. Someone help.

<<Flashback, 8 years ago>>

"Hey, Isuma-chan!!" Atsumu called as he ran up to her, Osamu half a step behind. Isuma was spread out on the grass, reading a book. She looked up just as he and Osamu dropped down on either side of her. "What're you doing here?"

"How'd you find me?" She asked. Osamu shrugged. "You weren't at home. I thought you'd come here."

She sat up. Over the years, whenever something happened at home, Isuma had always come here. Their parents had no reason to go to the park; it was the one place they couldn't bother her. "Sorry for not telling you... she came up to me the second I got home."

"You're fine." Atsumu exchanged glances with his brother- Isuma never mentioned their aunt's name if she could help it. "Anyways, guess what?"

Isuma closed her book. "Did something happen at school...?"

"There's this new guy; Aran- something... he's this huge foreign fifth grader!" Osamu got to his feet and stood on his toes, reaching up as high as he could. "Like this!"

He stumbled and fell down; Atsumu laughed. "He's really tall! His name sounds so cool, right?"

"Um, I guess?" Isuma's answer sounded more like a question. "It sounds so mysterious... we came up with foreign nicknames for us too!"

"I'm 'Samu, and he's 'Tsumu!" Osamu enthusiastically said. Atsumu asked, "You like 'em?"

"They're... nice," Isuma vaguely replied. "We should give you a nickname too!"

"Oh, no, that's okay-"

Osamu nodded. "We should! Hm, let's see..."

"How about Isu?" Atsumu exclaimed. Osamu lightly punched his shoulder. "That's terrible!"

"I really don't need a nickname..." she trailed off when she realized neither of them were listening. "I got it!" Osamu snapped his fingers. "You can be 'Suma! You like it?"

"Um... yes?" Isuma shrugged. "Okay, but I'll hit you if you let anyone else call you by your nickname. Um, not you, Isuma," Atsumu hastily added. Osamu complained, "So it's okay to hit me but not her?"

Before they could get into to an argument, Isuma placed her hands on their shoulders. "Don't argue! Please."

They slowly sat back down. Atsumu asked his sister, "What happened at home?"

"...nothing," Isuma replied. Osamu leaned back. "You can just say you wish she'd go back."

"I know I do," Atsumu mumbled. "It's a pain having them around."

"Oh, also, why didn't you go to the girl's practice today? Their coach asked us about you."

"...I'm not that good at volleyball." Isuma lowered her voice. "You're really good, though!" Osamu was surprised- she'd actually been a little excited about it earlier that day. "Did you not go at all?"

"...I did," she answered. "But... I left. I didn't feel like it anymore."

Atsumu sighed. "What really happened?"