XLVII

<<Skip>>

Isuma didn't speak a lot as they walked. At least she wasn't freezing this time. Hishari had lent her a coat and scarf; after dinner, she'd even trimmed Isuma's hair for her, making sure her locks were even and straight. Kita wasn't accustomed to seeing her with short hair. Her eyes were a lot more noticeable without her bangs and were distracting. He couldn't quite decide her eye color; they seemed to alternate between several different colors, flashing like a kaleidoscope. He could've watched them for hours and still not place their color.

Partially to break the silence, Isuma asked, "...will Takahiro-kun come to Inarizaki next year?"

"Oh, yeah. Him and Kasumi both."

"Kasumi?" Isuma struggled to recall the small bit Takahiro had told her about himself. "That's his best friend, right? Suna's cousin?"

"That's her. She's very... hyper." Kita said, trying not to be offensive. Isuma glanced at him. "You don't like her?"

"No, she's okay. I'm grateful to her- it takes someone patient to be friends my brother." Kita answered. Isuma smiled to herself. "Your brother and sister are really sweet. Karu reminds me of my brothers..."

He appreciated that she wasn't anxious around him anymore- at least on the outside. He felt himself looking at her eyes again- had they really always been that beautiful? Small details began to pop out: the small dark freckle below her right eye, the way her hair seemed to naturally sweep behind her ear, her close resemblance to her brothers. With her hair shortened, she looked more like them than before. More powerful... more intimidating. "Why... did you cut your hair?"

To him, even that small change was proof he wasn't needed, not even in the slightest. Proof that he should disappear from her life after high school so he wouldn't like it. Isuma tugged at a lock of her hair. "Why? Does it look terrible-"

"No. You look good. But why? Exactly?" He asked. Isuma responded, "My aunt and mother always..."

She hesitated, unsure if she wanted to tell him. "...they said my hair made me look pretty. So I cut it." She flinched: it was exactly the sort of thing she and Kita both would advise others NOT to do. Both of them- usually- thought logically, although he was much better at setting aside his emotions than she was. She'd reacted emotionally and done something she'd snap at her brothers for doing.

His rebuke didn't come. Instead, he laughed, something he rarely did. Isuma actually stopped walking to watch him. "-sorry. That's just... it sounds like something your brothers would do."

While his expression was pleasant, his tone was the slightest bit bitter. Isuma frowned. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. That's your apartment building, isn't it?" He pointed at one of the many tall buildings lining the street. Isuma still didn't smile, unconvinced. "...yeah. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine. Also... like Ari-chan said, if you need us, just call." His eyes were full of genuine concern. Isuma waited until they were past her building's gates and at the main door before responding. "I'll be okay. My brothers have probably calmed them down by now. I think."She sounded less certain than he would've preferred. "Okay..."

"Thank you for letting me come over. It was amazing." She turned to leave, but Kita said something that made her freeze. "For the record, you look pretty with short hair."

She turned around; a small smile flickered across Kita's face as he waved and walked through the gate, vanishing from view.

<<Skip to the Next Day>>

Suna, Kosaku, and Isuma were silently reading a program for the practice matches during lunch when they heard the rumors.

None of the other second-years had questioned Isuma's sudden decision to shorten her hair; Suna was the only one who'd understood. He raised his eyebrows when he saw her. She was wearing a scarf that obscured most of her face and neck, but her cropped bangs were visible. "I didn't think you'd actually do it."