XLIV

July 10th, 2021

That's a scene from the first k-drama I watched (Descendants of the Sun) I love the couple so muchhh.

My friend while I was uploading this: foreshadowing much, Zareen?

Me: Possibly

Isuma couldn't bring herself to watch most of the match.

Mailo had been determined to defeat them, but Taji North was on a whole other level of determination. To make things worse, Soorin glanced at her every few moments, flashing a small smirk. But something seemed off... Taji North played aggressively from the first second, unlike everything Isuma had heard about them. Kita had described them as a team that always played as if they didn't care, then suddenly lashed out in explosions. 'Why are they so different? They've given it their all from the very first moment. This isn't at all what Kita Senpai said they were like...'

Kita was silently wondering the same thing. 'Most people might not notice, but they're really trying right now. It's strange... we played them only a few months ago. What changed?'As he said it, the answer came to him. 'We both... oh, no way. They wouldn't do this over something so petty... would they?'

He looked over at Isuma, wondering if she'd come to the same conclusion. 'If she finds out... she'll never forgive herself.'

It took her a little longer to figure it out. Inarizaki took the first set with ease, but Atsumu, Osamu, and the others who had played had noticed the difference. "It's strange... they don't seem used to it either. They're accustomed to taking it easy and slowly revealing their strength."

Isuma asked, "Do you think their new style is helping them? Does it make things more difficult for you?"

The seven of them exchanged glances, wanting to know what the others thought. "No, not really. It was a little confusing at first, but if anything, their unease is making it easier for us."

Isuma didn't say anything, trying to narrow down the possible reasons. Akagi leaned over to Kita. "You know what's going on, right?"

He lowered his voice. "I think so. If I'm right... we should never tell Isuma."

"Can I trust you all to handle it?" Kurosu Sensei asked. "Yes!"

A minute before they had to return to the court, Suna pulled Isuma aside. He looked anxious, as if unsure of what he was about to say. "Rintaro?"

"Listen, Isuma-chan..." he hesitated, then said, "Earlier... when I was blocking Tsubara, he tried to spike at me."

"He what?" Isuma repeated. "I noticed and avoided it, but they've never tried to do something like this against us. Against other schools, yes, but never us."

"...I don't know. It doesn't make sense, especially since it's hurting their chances..." Isuma pushed that matter aside. "For now, be careful, Rintaro. If you get hurt..."

"I'll be fine, Isuma-chan. I just wanted to let you know; don't worry. We've got this."

She watched him join the others on the court silently. Kita asked her, "What's wrong?"

"Rin told me that Tsubara aimed for him while spiking. Why..." Isuma's mind was racing, trying to put the pieces together. Kita asked, "He did?"

He couldn't believe they would go that far- especially for something like this. "...don't try too hard to find out. It doesn't matter."

She looked at him in disbelief: Kita was telling her something like this wasn't important? "Senpai, how-"

"Trust me. It's just better..." He didn't finish his sentence. "Keep an eye on Suna. If Tsubara tries something again, it'll probably be with him."