XXXVI

May 1st

Inarizaki's cheer squad was nice enough, just a little too... enthusiastic.

Isuma noticed that about them right away. They met a few of them and their faculty adviser in the hallway. The third-year who led them shook their hands eagerly, followed by the others. "Kita-san, it's been so long, right?!"

"Right..." Kita managed a smile as the third-year shook his hand enthusiastically, looking past him; his eyes landed on Isuma, and then the badge pinned to her chest "Aren't you... the Miyas' sister?"

Isuma's eyes narrowed- the Miyas' sister. She hated being referred to like that. She didn't even care that he was her upperclassman- she would've lashed out if Kita hadn't stopped her and distracted the third-year. "Kano-kun, where's everyone else?"

"They're getting ready. The rest of your volleyball team is helping them. Oh, Atsumu..." Kano's smile wavered; Atsumu hadn't ever gone along with them. "Kano Senpai, how's the cheer squad?"

Ginjima and Isuma exchanged glances, sighing at the same time. "Good. You probably aren't happy about that."

"Of course I am." Atsumu replied, flashing a smile. Akagi grabbed Atsumu's arm and pulled him away. "Come on. Sorry, Kano-kun, we'll see you later."

"Hey! Akagi-san!" Atsumu complained as Akagi pulled him away. "You idiot, you don't need to act like that every single time you see them!"

"I don't!"

Kita walked over, lowering his voice. "You got into an argument with one of the second-years in the orchestra a week ago."

Atsumu winced. "Uh, that was... his fault."

Osamu looked at him doubtfully but didn't say anything about it. "I wanna go see Mailo's match."

"They might already be done."

"I can check. You want to come, 'Suma-chan?" Osamu glanced at his sister. "I'll come."

"Me too!" Ginjima added; Suna shrugged. "I guess I'll go."

"I'll come! You coming, Senpai?" Atsumu glanced at Kita, who shook his head. "I have to go see the second- and third-string players. You go on. Michinari, can you come with me?"

"Sure." He waved before following Kita.

Ginjima asked, "So where's Mailo High playing?"

They all automatically turned towards Isuma. "Why are you looking at me?"

"You know everything. You're the smart one." Ginjima explained. Rather than debating the point, Suna glanced at Isuma. "Do you have the schedule?"

She was already kneeling on the floor, looking through her duffel bag. They all crowded around her as she pulled out a folder and flipped it open. "Um, let's see... they're in the 3rd gym. Where's that?"

"It's one of the larger ones, I think, so it'd be near the front, right?" Atsumu asked. Osamu straightened. "I know where it is. Let's go."

It ended up being back the way they came from; Mailo and their opponent had just begun their third set when they entered the gym. They sat down in the bleachers and watched the match, occasionally saying something. "Mailo's good as ever."

"How come they didn't take this match in straight sets, then?" Isuma asked. Akagi leaned forward, his eyes darting back and forth. "Their captain isn't playing right now. He's kind of the core of their defense."

"Probably why. Man, I really don't want to play them again." Atsumu murmured. Everyone else nodded in agreement. "Why not?"

"Well... our schools have always been good friends. We've been connected even before Inarizaki became a powerhouse." Kita said. "It must be hard for them... seeing us go further and further. We've played them every Inter-high, and, well..."