As she and Natasha recheck their suits and add their Kevlar chest pieces and stash their final daggers, the king goes to them in his full armour with his guards at his sides.

-Would you two ladies not prefer staying with the women and the children in the caves. I'm sure they will need some help protecting them.
-We have already missed out one battle because we stayed back, my Lord. This time they have Eowyn, and I have also instructed Sleipnir to stay with their defences. I am not missing another fight.
-Are you sure my ladies?- one of the guards intervened -it would be best for all of us if you stayed behind.
-We are sure, sir. It has been a while since we've had a chance to go full out in the past months and I do not want my body to loose what it knows just because I stand in the sidelines.
-I haven't had a good fight since the first war against Thanos- Natasha remarked naturally as she took out a butterfly dagger, cleaned it's edge and flipped it expertly a few times to test it out.

They left the men dumbfounded and Went to join Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli.
joined Legolas and Aragorn, whom had resolved their fight from earlier, wearing armor that was far too long for him.
-If we had time, I'd get this adjusted- he says as the armor falls to the ground -It's a little tight across the chest.
-Here, let me help you Gimli- Natasha pulled out one of her knives and skilfully cut the thin metal of the chain mail to his liking. Maria smiled, she was glad Natasha had managed to grow such a friendship with him and the others since it was usually hard for her.

The sound of a horn is heard from outside and Aragorn and Legolas face each other.
-That is no orc horn!- they rush out an see men peering over the wall.
-Send for the king. Open the gate!- one said
The gates are opened, and an army of elves marched in.
-How is this possible?- the king of Rohan looked about to cry of happiness.
-I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance once existed between elves and men. Long ago we fought and died together- the reminding members of the Fellowship rush down to meet him -We come to honor that allegiance."
-Mae govannen, Haldir!- Aragorn hugs the poor unsuspecting elf (Welcome, Haldir!) -You are most welcome.
Legolas comes down the stairs and embraces Haldir. The army of elves turn and lower their bows and shields in unison to them.
-We are proud to fight alongside men, once more.
-And women- Maria pipped in, making even some elves look at her incredulously. Natasha shook her head in mock disappointment-What?

As Saruman's army slowly approaches, shouting and rumbling, the men and elves place themselves on the wall with their bows at the ready.
-And your bows my ladies?- asked Legolas -I have not seen you with them for a while.

He watched as Maria pulled out two stout bars of metal and passes one to Natasha.
-That is no bow my Lady- a man dared tease her.

She ignored him and pressed the button on the bar, snapping her arm out in the process and allowing the weapon to expand. The metal suddenly stretched up and down curving slightly as it reached it's ends and the string snapped from the inside, taught and ready to use. Natasha did the same and they grabbed their quivers of arrows they had received from the lady of Lothlorien.

Legolas said nothing, already used to their spontaneous acts, and he turned back to facing the orc army. Maria stood next to him on one side and Aragorn on his other side. Natasha stood by her friends other side with Gimli who was having some trouble seeing over the wall.
-Argh. You could have picked a better spot.

When lightning and a rumble of thunder appear in the sky, Maria clutches Legolas' hand when nobody is looking looking for a way to calm the anxious elf. She smiled a little when he crossed his fingers over hers and she risked a look at him. He was still looking at the army but with a small smile on his lips, although his jaw was clenched tightly.

-Lovely afternoon for this isn't it?- she said out loud to try to lighten the atmosphere.
Her friends either chuckled discreetly or shook their heads (cough, cough Natasha) at her.

-Your friends are with you, Aragorn- he still hadn't let go of Maria's hand and she found that comforting.
-Let's hope they last the night- Natasha grinned at her friend. She had struck an unusual friendship with the small dwarf but it felt natural.

It started to rain when the troops of Saruman walked forward, carrying torches and long spears.
Maria pressed her hand to the floor letting go of Legolas' for a moment and felt the women and children sitting silently in the caves, listening to what went on outside.

She snaps back to attention as Aragorn walks down the archers of men and elves shouting somethings.