Hearing my phone go off, I glanced to see a photo of Ximen on the screen. A loud gasp escaped my lips as a sudden object came from the corner view of my eyes. I snapped my head towards the road fully and immediately went for the brakes.

Almost hitting the deer, I felt my heart hammering in my chest as everything occurred in the matter of seconds. The jeep spun making me lose sense of stability and the pressure to my head increased with sudden pain realizing I've already banged my head against the window. Feeling my ankle bearing great pressure I screamed in pain and squeezed my eyes shut as a hard impact hit the vehicle. My body jerked towards the wheel and I screamed in immense pain.

Hauze Lei

"What do you mean you broke up with her!?" Ximen asked with a hint of anger in his voice. His arms were folded and he looked like he was ready to murder me. We both stood in the room we were staying in while the guys were slowly waking up. We were supposed to do Christmas together in the living room before heading over to the main house. Noone except Ximen knew I was back. Knowing I would hear an earful from Ximen, I prepared for the worst.

"I'm not going to date someone you actually like," I said as the first thoughts came through my mind. Ximen let out a painful sigh.

"You can't be serious Lei... I've told you countless times that she chose you. For you to break up with her for me is ridiculous, Lei. I know what I said the other day, but you shouldn't have ended your relationship."

"But..."

"You're the only guy I trust with her! Do you think you'd be with her this entire time if I had wanted to pursue her? You make her a happier person Lei. I don't want to take away her happiness. You've given her more than I ever could have and I have come to terms with that. I was just uncertain of marriage so soon. You need to find her and get back together with her."

"I... upset her."

"I wouldn't be surprised, Lei!" Ximen was beyond frustrated with me and I've realized I've made a big mistake. "Go back to the cabin and make her better before I murder you this time! You can't just hurt her like this! You need to apologize." I nod slowly knowing I've put myself into this mess.

Before I could ask Ximen for a ride to the cabin, his phone went off and he looked down. A moment of confusion appeared in his expression before answering the phone.

"Weiy-" Ximen abruptly stopped as he listened carefully to what Weiyi must be saying. First Ximen frowned, then looked towards me and suddenly panicked. "No... she isn't here. You need to talk slowly, I'm starting to worry here, when did you last talk to her?" Ximen listened and looked towards me.

"What's going on?" I asked and Ximen put his hand up as he continued to listen.

"I-I tried calling almost two hours ago and she never answered... We're going to find her." Ximen's stressed out expression made me worry about what he was about to say. Ximen ended the call and let out a shaky breath. "Faye may be in trouble," Ximen spoke worriedly. "Apparently Faye was supposed to be here an hour ago according to Gu Weiyi. She never called back saying she made it back into the house."

I came to my senses and felt a mixture of stress and concern. Guilt also consumed me knowing she would have been safe. Putting my coat back on, Ximen did the same before making our way out of the room. Knowing we'd have to explain to the guys and Faye's parents worried me. As we walked into the living room, I saw Lee, Rocky, and Sanha around the Christmas tree. They looked over to us and they seemed surprised to see me back.

"Merry Christmas Lei!" Sanha, the youngest member of the team, greeted. They must have noticed our expressions and lack of response. Lee stood up slowly, curious about our look of urgentness.

"Is Faye in her room?" Lee asked.

"Lei, did something ridiculous last night," Ximen said. Before he could explain what happened, the door opened to the front door and we saw Mr.Calinao and he looked around with urgentness. He had his keys in his hands.

"Faye was in an accident," Mr.Calinao said with worry in his tone. My heart aching at Mr.Calinao's words as many scenes played in my head. My mind went to its own world knowing this was entirely my fault and could have prevented this if I was with her. Faye would have been alright if I never broke up with her. Mr.Calinao instructed Ximen, Lee, Sanha, and I to accompany him to the hospital for now while the rest of the Astro members would stay until Mrs.Calinao could take us.

We were informed Mrs.Calinao would stay here with the twins until further notice and did not want them to worry about the twins until we knew more about Faye. Getting into Mr.Calinao's car, we went to the hospital.

///

Feeling overwhelmed, stressed, and guilty we have been waiting here the entire morning of Christmas. Once arriving at the hospital, Mr.Calinao went to find the team working with Faye. We found out Faye had to go into surgery leaving me and Ximen in a panic. We sat in the waiting room to hear from anyone on Faye's update.

Lee, Ximen, and I have been waiting here in the waiting room for about six hours now meaning it was now around noon time. Feeling awful to my entire stomach, I found it difficult to think straight.

"Hauze Lei." I heard my name for the first time in a while. I sat up and noticed Mr.Calinao standing by the restricted entrance in his white coat with a neutral expression. I looked towards Ximen and Lee, who were urging me to get up and go over to him. I stood from my seat and walked over to the far side of the waiting room. Approaching Mr.Calinao, I let out a nervous breath hoping for good news.

"M-Mr. Calinao," I said nervously. "How is Faye?" From his neutral expression I couldn't tell if things were bad or good. Being a doctor he had to stay professional when giving out news.

"The surgery was a success." My shoulders relaxed slightly at the mention of a successful surgery. "Faye's head injury was quite serious and the surgeons were able to stop the bleeding. Though, she also lost quite a lot of blood."

"Is she awake?"

"Yes, but there's still more I need to discuss with you." I looked towards him worried as Faye's parent I thought I was in trouble.

"I shouldn't have left her alone in the cabin. It was irresponsible for me to leave her there. This is my fault." Mr.Calinao shook his head.

"I don't blame you for this incident. I... actually wanted to speak with you about your future with my daughter. Is she... someone you'd like to spend the rest of your life with?"

"Mr.Calinao," I spoke guiltily, thinking he knew of my previous plans. "I was first going to ask you and Mrs.Calinao's blessing first. I want to ask her for her hand in marriage in May when we graduate." Mr.Calinao smiles for the first time and pats my shoulder.

"You have my blessing, Lei. Marge will be very happy when she hears you want to be a part of our family. You will make a great husband of Faye's."

"If only she talks to me now," I smile lightly feeling a bit guilty for hurting her just last night. "She's upset with me at the moment."

"I'm sure when you go into the room and talk with her, you will both be able to clear up the situation you were in." I nod slowly hoping Faye will actually accept my apology to her this time. "There's one more thing I have to tell you before letting you see her." I nod and wait for a response I wasn't expecting to hear.

///

End of book 1

We're officially finished with book 1 and in the works of book 2 continuing on with the adventures of Faye and Lei! Thank you for giving this story a chance and I hope you enjoyed reading this book as much as I enjoyed writing.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer your questions here 🤍

When will book 2 be released?
My plan is to take a break from writing and to be updating book 2 mid December of 2021! Look for updates here as the time comes closer.

What will book 2 be called?
Strings Attached