Prairie Voice

It was the first of July and Canada Day was in full swing at Prairie View Ranch. Mr. Kyler was in the barn while Mrs. Kyler was preparing lunch. Hunter was most likely to be found in the shop fixing up his truck with Saber copying his every move. I on the other hand was sitting on the roof of our three story farm house trying to scheme up a way of getting back at my brother. I had woke up this morning feeling wet and cold all over. I opened my eyes to see Hunter, my seventeen year old brother looking down on me with a red bucket in his hands.

He saw my eyes open wide at the realization of having water poured on me and said quickly," April Fools" and ran out the door. It took me a second to realize it wasn't even April let alone April first. I got up and put on some dark blue jeans and a blank tank top. I then grabbed a red plaid button down shirt and went down stairs. I would get him later I thought. I saw my family sitting at the table waiting for me and sat down. I glared at Hunter the whole time we ate, but didn't say a word. After breakfast everybody dispersed except my mom and I.

We were doing the dishes when my mom spoke up, "Laci dear, is everything alright?" She surprised me and I jumped.

I turned towards her and replied as calmly as I could, "Mom, Hunter threw water on me this morning and I guess it just makes me so mad that he did it." My mom looked at me with a smile and laughed a little. I stared at her in shock. First she asks me what's wrong and when I tell her she laughs! I was even more made and took some bubbles from the dish water and patted it on her head. It was her turn to be shocked. Yea that's what you get for laughing. I'm not a person to get super angry about anything, but right now I was a little upset that my mom hadn't actually cared about what I had told her, so I ran upstairs. I burst into my room and opened my window. After crawling out of it, I sat there thinking of my revenge.

Hunter's POV

I was in the shop changing the oil in my Royal Blue 2009 Dodge Ram. My little brother Saber was sitting in the drivers seat watching me. Now that he was thirteen, he felt it was his duty to be just like me. He follows me everywhere. Some days I don't mind, but other days he annoys the heck out of me.

I was just finishing up pouring the oil in when someone said from behind me,"Whatcha doing Hunter." I wasn't expecting this and jumped hitting my head on the hood of my truck. I turned around sharply and was met by a pair of dark green eyes that felt like they were boring into my soul. I laughed and Laci's face turned into a scowl. She looked livid that I couldn't take her seriously. I never take anything seriously. She started to smile and that was when I started to worry.

She looked towards me still smiling and said," Hunter, could you help me for a second?" I didn't know what to say, so I just shrugged and followed her out of the shop.

Our ranch is huge. We have a shop and a two story barn. Two sheds one for greenhouse supplies and the other for all the other gardening things. Between the two sheds is a greenhouse that my mom plants vegetables in every spring. There is also a ton of corrals. The best part of the farm though is the never ending view of pasture surrounding it that only stops on the horizon where there is a river with a forest on the other side of it.

I stepped out of the shop right behind he, when a bucket full of water showered me, followed by some straw. Laci turned to me and laughed. She walked back towards the house with a smug look on her face and I knew I deserved what just happened.

Laci's POV

I walked through the front door of our house satisfied with my revenge. I started to walk the winding stairs up to my room when mom called to me saying, "Lac get ready. We are going into town for Canada Day!"

I grumbled and went to get ready. I went to my room and changed first. I put on some white booty shorts and a neon yellow v-neck t-shirt over top a white tank top. I ran a brush through my hair then ran across the hall to my bathroom. I applied a light amount of make-up and looked at myself in the mirror. My skin was tan from the sun even though we just finished winter not to long ago. My blonde red hair was in it's naturally straight form with my bangs side swept across my face, covering one of my dark green eyes. My skin was flawless and my lips were a cherry red to accent my hair.

Once I was satisfied with my looks and ran downstairs. I saw mom at the front door waiting impatiently, so I slid on my flip-flops and willed her out the door. The boys were going to meet us later after they were done chores. I hoped in the drivers seat and started our Chevrolet Equinox. I pulled out of the yard and

headed for Birchville.

When we got to town, five minutes later I pulled up in front of Ariana Bentley's gorgeous mansion. She was my best friend and her dad was mayor of Birchville. He was loaded with money. Ariana and I were such good friends, she was like my sister and her family was my second family.

I walked up the front steps and just walked in. As soon as I stepped through the door, I was met with the most beautiful blue eyes I have ever seen.