eight

╮peewee champs╰

╮peewee champs╰

Aubrey sat the tip of a skate blade into the skate sharpener and slowly slid it through. She laid it on its side by the skate sharpener and picked up the other. After sliding it through the sharpener, she pulled off the glasses she wore to sharpen them, grabbed the other skate, and walked to the counter across the room. She looked over her shoulder at the clock hanging above the door and sighed when she realized she had another hour and a half before warm-ups started.

She pulled open the drawer in front of her and grabbed two black shoelaces. She squinted as she leaned over the skate and precisely ran the laces through the skate, making sure to keep the laces from flipping. She straightened and stretched her shoulders to pop her back. She stood for a moment with the other thick shoelace in her hand and looked over her shoulder when Hans pushed the door open. She smiled softly at him before turning back to the skate in front of her and began to lace it, careful to keep the laces straight.

"Close to time to leave for your game," Hans said as he looked up at the clock and Aubrey smiled to herself as his Scandinavian accent thickened as he spoke.

"Um," she hummed as she finished lacing the skate and sat the pair on the cart of finished skates. "I think I can finish one more pair before I have to get ready," she finished as she grabbed the sewn-together fabric of a skate and the blade base to go with it.

"I can do it," Hans answered with a smile as he took the two skate pieces in her hand. "You get ready and then we'll go," he instructed as he patted her cheek softly.

"Thank you," she said and slipped through one of the two doors and pushed it shut behind her. She grabbed the plastic bag holding her clothes that sat on the couch and hurried to the bathroom. She quickly changed into her black compression shirt and fitted sweatpants. She stuffed the clothes she wore to work in her bag and hurried into the back room.

She sat the plastic bag back on the table and slipped through the doors. She opened the drawer with the laces and paused to look at the cart. She counted all the skates with black laces before counting the ones with white. She picked up two white laces and sat them on the counter and meet Hans in the middle of the room to get the skates. She quickly laced them and sat them on the cart with the other skates.

"Ready," Aubrey said as she followed Hans into the back room and picked up her hockey bag. Hans offered his elbow and Aubrey smiled as she slipped her arm in his.

Aubrey skated through the Cardinals zone and watched as the puck moved around the ice. She noticed the Cardinals player with the puck readying to make a pass and slowly skated towards the opening it would go through. She rushed forward when he made his pass and grunted as she stuck her hockey stick and struggled to hold onto it. She pushed the puck forwards and got a firm grip on her hockey stick as she skated behind it.