The Beginning

Hurmm, where do I begin? Perhaps I should start with my parents. Samuel and Sharon Warchuck.

Let's start with my dad. He was a lovely dad. I could not dream of having someone better for a dad. He was kind, understanding. Raising his voice was the last option if I misbehave.

He's not some kind of a wuss dad either. He's ex Green Berret. When he said something serious, you know you'd better do it or you'd be in serious trouble. He made money of of his early army retirement so he formed a construction company with his army buddies. It was a pretty successful business too. I was born during those good times, so life was just dandy. I respect my dad a lot. He's the kind of person you would throw your life for just to hear him say 'I am proud of you'.

And then, we have my mom. Now, she was a complete opposite of my dad. If my dad was calm, my mom was impulsive. I think I inherited my mom's impulsiveness. She's the typical mom who always worry about the future. The phrase 'what if' always comes out of her mouth. And the sentence that follows it always carry a negative connotation. It is annoying, but since I am the same, I can sympathize with that trail of thoughts.  Still though, to me she was the best mom. People often said their mom's cooking was the best but my mom was legit a great cook. She'd open a gastropub and people flocked in. Everynight was a full house. So life was good. Until it wasn't.

I don't remember how it happen. Or when it happen. I just know that suddenly our lifestyle changed. A lot. No more holidays. No more extravagant grocery shopping. I thought something changed, but it was insignificant to my naive child life. To me it's just my normal days. Until I overheard the truth of the matter.

"How are we doing Sam?"
"Pfftt, not as good as we used to, but we're getting there."
"I worry about you."
"What do you mean?"
"I know you're heartbroken when that guy ran away with your money. I know how hard it is, you being strong for Boone."
"It's not that bad. I mean I might have gone bankrupt but I can still work to pay it of."
"Really? When?"
"To be honest, I don't know when. Nevertheless, I can still work at my construction business. Just, minus the actual company."
"Hmm, if you say so Sam."
"Don't worry honey. I'll sort this out. Before you know it, we'll be back to our merry life as before."
"Oh by the way, the new busboy said his dad owned a few houses that needed repairs. If you're interested maybe I could asked him?"
"Really? Well yeah sure. Any work is good. See that honey. The solution just fall on our lap before we know it."

Little did my dad know, that solution just bred a new set of problems. As it often is in life, things workout great at first. That busboy's dad was a blessing. Turned out he owned quite a lot of building that needed repair and renovation. So much that my dad was able to pay of his debt. We became close. Unfortunately for my dad, some of us become too close.

************************************

"You mean...?"
"Yup. That guy and my mom became a thing. Secretly at first. I mean there were signs I should have noticed but I didn't."
"Signs? Like missng for a few hours like that?"
"Oh yeah there's that too. Also, she suddenly talked to me about flirting on the phone suddenly. She would test different subtle materials on me?"
"Wow. And you did not notice that?"
"Well, it is weird. But, a few times my parent would urge me to go on dates and such. I'm not a people person as you can clearly see," Boone stopped and smile when she chuckled a bit, then continued, "so I thought she was just trying to teach me how to talk to girls. Little did I know I was just a guinea pig."

"Is that why you kill your mom?"
"What? What do you mean?"
"I mean you must be angry. Your mom left your dad. Does the anger made you kill your mom?"
"Oh god no! I love my mom. I'm never angry with her for leaving. I totally understand her action. Why stay if she could have something better. And she even agreed not to put additional financial burden on my dad. She just left. I don't see any reason to be angry with that?"

"Then why?"
"You see. That guy as it turns out, is a horrible wife abuser. She get a second divorce from him. And then the string of men followed. And I know she's not happy. I know she just wanted stability. And I...I try so hard. Work so hard to make sure I can give both my parents that."
"By stability you mean the military?"
"Yup. I was going to have a big success in the military. But they dishonorably discharged me. And I lost the chance to make my family's life happy. And I don't want that. I don't want them to continue living like that. So I...I chose to...to let them be happy in hea...in heaven instead."

Boone reached for the packet of tissue she gave him. She got up and got some water for Boone. Everything was quiet for a while. Boone did not raise his head when he cried. When he finally raised his head, she saw that her face was decorated with that warm smile like before.

"Shall we continue?"