⊰❉⊱ 48 ⊰❉⊱

"They say a good love is one that sits you down, gives you a drink of water, and pats you on top of the head. But I say a good love is one that casts you into the wind, sets you ablaze, makes you burn through the skies and ignite the night... I say that's a good love."

― C. JoyBell

She had told me that if we started running we would never stop. Yet here we were.

Two duffels filled with Quinn's clothes and cash. I didn't even have the time to retrieve weapons from my flat, it would be down to our will and wit alone from this point on.

But we were out of time now. I was expected to be there–stationed at a prison ready to fulfil my role tonight.

I felt her hand on my forearm and I met her serious expression.

"I like the uniform."

I sighed gustily with a half glare and smirk.

"We need to go. They will already know I'm not where I should be."

She hefted a bag onto her back and I swiftly plucked it off her shoulder along with the other while she protested. "Say goodbye to your phone and cards, Adams. We're off the grid now." I stated grimly, heading for the door.

She paused behind me. I heard her steps move quickly.

I had the door open and was already moving to the black cab waiting outside her house with classic mortal impatience. I'd have to get used to life without Paragon's luxury now–as long as Quinn was beside me I could.

I slipped him a twenty to keep the car running and this coaxed a smile from him and a nod.

I took the stairs quickly and searched for her. I found her scanning those picture frames and my heart tore. It was so easy to uproot my own life with no family to weigh down on me. All of my sentimental items were just that... I could leave them behind.

"Quinn..."

"It's fine–I'm fine–" She wiped her face quickly and made to move around me quickly. I stopped her with an arm around her waist and turned her to me. Her eyes betrayed her. I caught a stray tear with my thumb and tucked it under her chin. "You should take something. I can't guarantee my vault will not be compromised." I said softly.

She took a steadying breath and cleared her throat. "No, Fletcher. I think it's time we left."

She ducked under my arm before I could find the words and made her way out the door. I stared at that picture in the centre of her mantle. Her adopted parents smiled back proudly.

When I shut the ornate door it felt heavier than the first time.

Quinn didn't look back. She stared out the other side of the cab window with a determined expression. I passed the airport onto the driver and slipped in beside her. The warmth was instant as was the promise of her scent.

Our journey took longer than I liked. Each minute reminded me that Paragon were becoming more aware of my decision. My phone would have been ringing. Messages unanswered. Rogue immortal. Her hand in mine was the only thing keeping me in this reality. A duffel full of concealed cash and documents we'd burn after our flight was hardly news to me... But I kept thinking of how insane it must have been for her.

"You okay out front?" The driver blurted through the intercom ripping me from the thoughts.

"Perfectly." I returned, slipping cash through the window. He nodded and unlocked the doors.