Chapter Thirteen

Dedication to -NightShadow- Thanks for supporting the story!

"What do you mean he's abusing her?"

"How is he not? Do you see the bruises covering every square inch of her skin? Do you not notice how she flinches every time someone even just taps her?"

"Well, that could mean something else! Maybe she's just clumsy and falls a lot-"

"Or maybe she's being beaten daily by that guy!"

"Well what if she's asking-"

"Finish that sentence and I swear to God-"

I couldn't take it anymore. It was 11 at night, and I had woken up for the third time now because my parents were arguing again, for the third time today. The first time it was about how my Mom wouldn't believe Daren would do such a thing. Then, my Mom refused to let my Dad take me to the police. Now, my Mom was in denial again. And this is just today, this has been a recurring theme throughout the week. And it was all because of me. It was all my fault.

To: Mikey <3

Are you awake?

I groaned in frustration and threw my phone on my lap, and let my head fall back against the pillow. If only I had told someone sooner. Then this could all have been dealt with earlier, and I wouldn't be stressing out about this just days before the jazz band competition.

From: Mikey <3

Yeah. What's wrong? You're always asleep before 9:30.

I gave a slight smile that hardly even reached my cheeks because he knew me so well, but I just couldn't smile right now.

To: Mikey <3

I just need to talk to you. Can I meet you somewhere? Or is it too late, would you rather me call?

From: Mikey <3

Of course I can meet you. Treehouse?

To: Mikey <3

Sure. I'll bring blankets and pillow. You don't need anything really.

I sighed in relief when he agreed, he would just have to pester his brother into driving him. He replied saying he'd leave his school stuff in his brother's car, and that he'd be over in ten minutes. I threw off my covers and stuffed as many pillows as I could into a blanket, and continued to wrap it up in blankets until I had about 6 pillows cocooned in 3 blankets. I had opened the window, and now, I just had to figure out how I was going to escape it and climb the tree with them in hand.

From: Mikey <3

Need a hand?

I was confused for a second until I saw him waving in the darkness below. I smiled as my heart skipped a beat, him smiling back.

"Just climb up there," I called just loud enough for him to hear, but not loud enough for my parents to hear, as I pointed to the treehouse. I eventually managed to hold the bundle of blankets and pillows with one hand, tossed against my shoulders, as I balanced on the tree limb. As I neared the treehouse, Mikey grabbed my waist, and I winced as his hands grazed over bruises that were still healing as he pulled me in the window.

"Hey," I whispered, tossing the blankets on the ground. He knelt down and helped me shove them in the corner, leaving the warmest blanket for us to lay under, rather than on top of. Soon, we had a comfortable and warm fort of pillows and blankets made.