At the lodge

Part Forty-Nine

Sang's POV

I couldn't believe how much money I had made in tips working over the week. Plus what Uncle would pay me, and I was sure that I would be able to get them all presents for Christmas plus something for Gabriel's birthday.

I rolled it all neatly and placed it into a sock and then I went into the attic space and hit it down between where the floorboards and the eaves met. Even if Marie found my space she wouldn't find this.

"Come on, Peanut, the others are here and waiting," Nathan called into me.

I turned on my knees and hugged myself as I looked up at the pictures they had put up there. I was so excited about the week away, a whole week with just the ten of us. No school to worry about, no Mr Hendricks, no Marie, no hiding anything. I was going to enjoy every second of this while I could.

I made my way out of the attic and saw Nathan grinning at me.

"Have you got everything you want," he asked me.

"Yes, I just need to take my laptop and my bag," I said and looked around for where I had put my laptop on my bed earlier.

Instead of a laptop sitting there, there was a plain box, about ten inches long and five inches deep. It looked like a very thick book.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Oh, Vic put it there; he's taken your laptop and is leaving it at Nathan's incase Marie gets any ideas," he said and crossed to switch out the light in the attic and close the door.

"Victor?" I said and crossed to pick it up, it was heavier than I thought. My door opened and Victor came in.

"All done. Need a hand, Nate?" he asked and closed the door behind him. He crossed to Nathan and they pushed my bookcase slightly so that it covered the attic door by about three inches. Not enough to cover it and cause suspicion but enough to stop it from being opened.

"Victor, what's this?" I asked and he grinned over at me.

"Open it, Princess, and find out."

I lifted the lid and saw another box inside, but this read "Kindle Fire HD". I gasped and looked up at him.

"It's all set to go, I've synced it with your existing Kindle account so all the books you already had are on there. I found a few more that I thought you might like and I've added them as well. With that one you can access the internet if you want. It'll be much easier than dragging your laptop around."

I bit my lip, put the box on the bed and got up to throw my arms around his neck.

"Thank you!" I whispered and he hugged me tighter.

"But you're not sitting all week with your nose in a book," Nathan spoke up with a laugh.

"Of course not!" I said, thinking of all the books that I had lined up. They were all free ones so far and mostly classics, but I loved reading.

A horn sounded from outside and Nathan rolled his eyes.

"Come on, before Mr B leaves us behind," he said.

I gasped and turned to pick up my bag. I put the new kindle in my bag and then I was rushing towards the door.

"Quickly, I don't want to get left behind!" I called, running down the stairs.

"Peanut, can you honestly see Mr B leaving you behind? Or any of them letting him?"

"Well, just in case," I giggled and we let ourselves out of the house into the night. It was nearly ten, uncle had let us leave earlier so I could rush home and change.